ISCSI mirror replication

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

lenee27

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi guys need some assistance in creating the ISCSI mirrors. Any step by step instructions would be helpful.
I have created two servers both with the Starwind target installed on. I have created a 500mb mir1.img file on the source and a 500 mb mir.ibv file on the target(I've also tried just mir.img) When i create the mirror and select the source and target (remote ISCSI) i get a command failed and the service crashes. I have to restart the service. I have also tried using the "Create NEw" option without creating the image files as in a previous forum topic and still get the command failed error. Any ideas??
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:49 am

Hi.
As I understand you have shared IBVolume target on the remote machine and try to create mirror device using this target for the second mirror. Right?
To use remote target you have to install StarPort on the local machine where you create mirror device . Have you installed it?

On the Specify Mirror image parameters page:
- Specify the name of the mirror device to create;
- Specify the path of the image file to create. Check the Create new checkbox. Specify Image size in megabytes. You should specify the same size as the size of the remote device.
- Select Remote iSCSI target for the second mirror. Press Edit button and enter IP addres of the remote StarWind Server. Also specify the target name of the remote device to use for the second mirror.
lenee27

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi

I actually do have StarWind installed on both machines. And yes, you are correct where i have a shared IBVolume target that i'm trying to use as the second mirror. I actually have followed the procedure you have dictated. I actually get to the screen where it asks me to clear the mirrors. Its when i click next after that that i get the error "Command Failed" and the Starwind iSCSI service crashes on the source. Are there any permission requirements? Like do both machines have to be on the same domain?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:12 pm

No there are no such requirements.
Please zip and send us logs from C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarWind\logs\ directory of local and remote servers at bohdan@rocketdivision.com and we'll investigate this problem and find a solution.
lenee27

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi,

Once i installed the Starport driver its working.

Regards
Lenee
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:49 am

It was a bug in the mirror handlng code for the StarWind. And we've fixed it, thank you very much :)
lenee27 wrote:Hi,

Once i installed the Starport driver its working.

Regards
Lenee
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software