The use of "Header size in sectors:"

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Han

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Could somebody explain this setting? What is it for? Is it related with the "Use file system buffering" setting? How do I determine the value to type here?

Regards,
Han Valk.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:53 am

If you're using "alien" disk images (like the ones you still have from the WinTarget) you may make StarWind ignore some initial offset (where WinTarget f.e. writes his system information).
Han wrote:Could somebody explain this setting? What is it for? Is it related with the "Use file system buffering" setting? How do I determine the value to type here?

Regards,
Han Valk.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Han

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am

So I can check "Use file system buffering", which should speed things up, and leave "Header size in sectors:" untouched?
anton (staff) wrote:If you're using "alien" disk images (like the ones you still have from the WinTarget) you may make StarWind ignore some initial offset (where WinTarget f.e. writes his system information).
Han wrote:Could somebody explain this setting? What is it for? Is it related with the "Use file system buffering" setting? How do I determine the value to type here?

Regards,
Han Valk.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 am

Yes. And we'll hide this control in the future versions.
Han wrote:So I can check "Use file system buffering", which should speed things up, and leave "Header size in sectors:" untouched?
anton (staff) wrote:If you're using "alien" disk images (like the ones you still have from the WinTarget) you may make StarWind ignore some initial offset (where WinTarget f.e. writes his system information).

Regards,
Han Valk.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software