The use of $(id) in the target's name

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Han

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:20 pm

Can somebody explain the use of $(id) in the target's name e.g.:
iqn.2003-06.rocketdivision.starwind.$(host).$(id)?
Whenever I try to use the $(id) macro the following is logged:

target name 'iqn.2003-06.rocketdivision.starwind.stor01.$(host).$(id)' is invalid according to RFC 3722!

Regards,
Han Valk.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:50 am

Hi.
According to RFC 3722:
An iSCSI name is a string of UTF-8 [RFC3629] characters that includes a type designator, a naming authority based on domain names, and a unique part within the naming authority. The unique part may be generated based on anything the naming authority deems useful, and may include user input.

So, 'id' - is a unique part within the naming authority.
But this template (iqn.2003-06.rocketdivision.starwind.$(host).$(id)) is only used when target name is not specified during target sharing. If target name is specified then iqn = target name.
Han

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:57 am

From the configuration file:

<!--<DefTargetName value="iqn.2003-06.com.rocketdivision.starwind:$(host).$(symid)"/>-->

So the default target name is based on $(symid) not $(id). I would like to use iqn.2003-06.com.rocketdivision.starwind:$(host).$(id). But what ever combination I use I'm unable to use the $(id) macro.
Could this be a bug?
bohdan (staff) wrote:Hi.
According to RFC 3722:
An iSCSI name is a string of UTF-8 [RFC3629] characters that includes a type designator, a naming authority based on domain names, and a unique part within the naming authority. The unique part may be generated based on anything the naming authority deems useful, and may include user input.

So, 'id' - is a unique part within the naming authority.
But this template (iqn.2003-06.rocketdivision.starwind.$(host).$(id)) is only used when target name is not specified during target sharing. If target name is specified then iqn = target name.
Val (staff)

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:25 am

Han wrote:From the configuration file:

<!--<DefTargetName value="iqn.2003-06.com.rocketdivision.starwind:$(host).$(symid)"/>-->

So the default target name is based on $(symid) not $(id). I would like to use iqn.2003-06.com.rocketdivision.starwind:$(host).$(id). But what ever combination I use I'm unable to use the $(id) macro.
Could this be a bug?
Hi,

Only macros $(host) and $(symid) are supported by StarWind.
- $(host) is the name of the host
- $(symid) is the name of the target (like imagefile0, etc)
Best regards,
Valeriy
Han

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:37 am

Thanks that explains the behaviour I see. It would probably be a good idea to remove $(id) macro the from the documentation (StarWind configuration.doc)

valery (staff) wrote:

Could this be a bug?
Hi,

Val (staff)

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 am

Han wrote:Thanks that explains the behaviour I see. It would probably be a good idea to remove $(id) macro the from the documentation (StarWind configuration.doc)

valery (staff) wrote:

Could this be a bug?
Hi,

Hi,

Thank you for pointing at the documentation issue.
We'll fix it in the next version.
Best regards,
Valeriy