open-iscsi w/ starwind

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

MrSouth

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi,

I've set up StarWind 3.5 build 20070726 on a windows xp box and want to test it's connectivity with a debian etch stable machine running open-iscsi
(open-iscsi/etch 2.0.730-1etch1).
When exporting the dvd-writer on the windows box as a SPTI device, open-iscsi fails to generate a device node for it. Checking the logs for StarWind i found this particular error:

8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': scsiPassThrough failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code: 87).
8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT (before):
[[ hex dump here ]]
8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT (after):
[[ hex dump here ]]

The login process viewed from the debian box to the iscsi target goes fine. (i even noticed activity in initiating the dvd-drive). However no node is generated. (sdX device).
Other types of devices (ramdrive, image file) work without a problem.

I know chances are 50:50 for failure in both sides (starwind or open-iscsi)
but i would be very gratefull if someone from the development team takes a look on the log i would provide.
Same open-iscsi initiator was used with an older version of starwind 2.3.0 with the same dvd-rw as SPTI device and it worked. (open-iscsi generated successfully a node device).

Thanks in advance,
Please advice.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Dump current version and download new one from the site. Re-published version 3.5 (different build number) has SPTI related bug fixed. Thanks!
MrSouth wrote:Hi,

I've set up StarWind 3.5 build 20070726 on a windows xp box and want to test it's connectivity with a debian etch stable machine running open-iscsi
(open-iscsi/etch 2.0.730-1etch1).
When exporting the dvd-writer on the windows box as a SPTI device, open-iscsi fails to generate a device node for it. Checking the logs for StarWind i found this particular error:

8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': scsiPassThrough failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code: 87).
8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT (before):
[[ hex dump here ]]
8/8 23:40:20.531 928 SPTI: '\\.\E:': IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT (after):
[[ hex dump here ]]

The login process viewed from the debian box to the iscsi target goes fine. (i even noticed activity in initiating the dvd-drive). However no node is generated. (sdX device).
Other types of devices (ramdrive, image file) work without a problem.

I know chances are 50:50 for failure in both sides (starwind or open-iscsi)
but i would be very gratefull if someone from the development team takes a look on the log i would provide.
Same open-iscsi initiator was used with an older version of starwind 2.3.0 with the same dvd-rw as SPTI device and it worked. (open-iscsi generated successfully a node device).

Thanks in advance,
Please advice.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

MrSouth

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:42 am

thanks, will get back with test results :)

However, minor issue, maybe suggestion, open-iscsi node discovery shows up the virtual ram device and cddvd device - presumably the iso virtual dvd device, although i didn't explicitly set up these nodes (no ram disk / no cddvd device)... Sort of a hidden device "feature"...not set but visible ... activated

Can i bypass this issue somehow? besides unloading the module's dlls directly from the config file. Any suggestion from your side if it's safe to do so?

Thanks,
M.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:47 am

StarWind starts with one small RAM disk by default. CD/DVD was created by you (sharing DVD burner thru the SPTI).
MrSouth wrote:thanks, will get back with test results :)

However, minor issue, maybe suggestion, open-iscsi node discovery shows up the virtual ram device and cddvd device - presumably the iso virtual dvd device, although i didn't explicitly set up these nodes (no ram disk / no cddvd device)... Sort of a hidden device "feature"...not set but visible ... activated

Can i bypass this issue somehow? besides unloading the module's dlls directly from the config file. Any suggestion from your side if it's safe to do so?

Thanks,
M.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software