Need some expert opinions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

tnsandman

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Hello All,
I'm considering implementing Starwind and wanted to run my thoughts by the forum.
I'm looking at a Dell Poweredge 29xx series box with dual core cpu(x2), 16gb ram a pcie sas raid adapter and a pcie scsi perc raid adapter. I have a MD1000 SAS cage, and 2 220S scsi drive cages. In total I have about 4.5Tb of storage that will be hanging off this server.

For the server O/S it will be Windows Server 2003 enterprise R2.

Is 16gb a waste or can Starwind use that much memory?

Thanks in Advance, Sandor
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:55 am

No it is not. If you'd use image files (instead of mapping whole disk or just partition as an iSCSI target volume) and will select "asyncrhonous" and "cached" modes - whole 16GB of RAM (well, as much as Windows will allow us to use actually...) will be used as a huge cache buffer. This dramatically boosts system performance, IOps and response time.
tnsandman wrote:Hello All,
I'm considering implementing Starwind and wanted to run my thoughts by the forum.
I'm looking at a Dell Poweredge 29xx series box with dual core cpu(x2), 16gb ram a pcie sas raid adapter and a pcie scsi perc raid adapter. I have a MD1000 SAS cage, and 2 220S scsi drive cages. In total I have about 4.5Tb of storage that will be hanging off this server.

For the server O/S it will be Windows Server 2003 enterprise R2.

Is 16gb a waste or can Starwind use that much memory?

Thanks in Advance, Sandor
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software