Frequent Data or Folder corruptions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mrkaulat

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi,

I' using Workstation (XP Home SP2/Starport v3.2) connecting to Server (XP Pro SP2/Starwind v3.2.1) using IBVolume Image (Incremental/Asyn/MultiClustering) but I got frequent Data and Folder Corruptions, when restarting at Workstation it will chkdsk and wipe out certain files even folders, please advice me what should I do to deal with it.
By the way,My server Starwind connected to localhost (or should I leave it not connected to solve above problems).....

thx in advance.. :-)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:10 am

To have IBV working reliably you need:

1) Use it it a non-loopback configuration

2) Use Windows 2003 Server as a client with hardware VSS helper service installed. As it's the only OS (and upcoming Windows 2008 Server of course) capable of having hardware VSS running.

We're working on the software VSS helper for XP and Vista but I'm not sure it will be in the production state really soon.

For now you may use "cold" snapshots (with the disconnect) only.
mrkaulat wrote:Hi,

I' using Workstation (XP Home SP2/Starport v3.2) connecting to Server (XP Pro SP2/Starwind v3.2.1) using IBVolume Image (Incremental/Asyn/MultiClustering) but I got frequent Data and Folder Corruptions, when restarting at Workstation it will chkdsk and wipe out certain files even folders, please advice me what should I do to deal with it.
By the way,My server Starwind connected to localhost (or should I leave it not connected to solve above problems).....

thx in advance.. :-)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:11 am

...and I've moved the topic to the StarWind discussion forum as the issue has nothing to do with the StarPort itself :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

mrkaulat

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 pm

thx for the reply, VSS helper service ? is it Volume Shadow Service ? if yes I already installed at all my workstations, but problem still occur, Server .. yes I reformated and change to 2003 server... problem of missing files or corrupted files and folder still persist... pls help URGENT !!! thx in advance :wink:
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:30 am

Hi,
using IBVolume Image (Incremental/Asyn/MultiClustering) but I got frequent Data and Folder Corruptions
I see that you have shared the target with clustering option enabled.
Did you make simultaneous access to data from several clients?

Windows OS and iSCSI do not solve the task of maintaining distributed write locks and keeping file caches coherent.
Dedicated SAN file system (like SFS from DataPlow) or software, allowing NTFS to be used as SAN file system (MetaSAN), had to be used.

Did you use such kind of software or file system?
mrkaulat

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Anyway thx for the replies.

Yes

I don't use SFS Dataplow or Metasan. I did went into these websites and survey and I found it is very costly and mostly for big corporate usage.

Is it ok if I use <junkware reference>?
or
Is there any solutions besides of those 2 SAN software (SFS & Metasan)?

I have 10 units of computer concurently connected to Server but no saving allowed (Auto-snapshot) from workstation.

Please, I need a solutions, Urgently. My management is chasing me like hell.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:44 pm

You cannot connect to ANY iSCSI target volume with more then 1 initiator at the same time. It's NTFS/FAT and not iSCSI target problem.

P.S. I've removed junkware reference from your e-mail.
mrkaulat wrote:Anyway thx for the replies.

Yes

I don't use SFS Dataplow or Metasan. I did went into these websites and survey and I found it is very costly and mostly for big corporate usage.

Is it ok if I use <junkware reference>?
or
Is there any solutions besides of those 2 SAN software (SFS & Metasan)?

I have 10 units of computer concurently connected to Server but no saving allowed (Auto-snapshot) from workstation.

Please, I need a solutions, Urgently. My management is chasing me like hell.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev