Image File with ESX 3.0.1 Problem

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Matt Meyer

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:27 am

I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times now to use an Image File in StarWind with VMware ESX Server 3.0.1. Is there a known problem with the ESX SW Initiator when using an Image File on the target? Disk Bridge works with no issues, but I want to play with the mirror options available with the Image File.

More Info:
The ESX server can see the target and format it to VMFS, but once you try copying a VM into that datastore, it freaks. The ESX server loses connection to the LUN and the VMFS becomes unavailable.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 am

Yes it is. ESX initiator writes beyond the end of the disk and it confuses disk controllers. Just a bit. Drop down an e-mail to support@rocketdivision.com and guys will issue you with a RC StarWind 3.5 with this VMware bug workarounded.
Matt Meyer wrote:I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times now to use an Image File in StarWind with VMware ESX Server 3.0.1. Is there a known problem with the ESX SW Initiator when using an Image File on the target? Disk Bridge works with no issues, but I want to play with the mirror options available with the Image File.

More Info:
The ESX server can see the target and format it to VMFS, but once you try copying a VM into that datastore, it freaks. The ESX server loses connection to the LUN and the VMFS becomes unavailable.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Matt Meyer

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:50 pm

I received a copy of version 3.2.3, build 20070527 from the support staff, but I'm still experiencing the same thing. Is there a config file on the target I must modify to get the ESX initiator to stop freaking?

Thanks,
Matt
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 am

You should receive a copy of the 3.5 version and not 3.2.3. In any case please send us StarWind debug log and update ESX to the latest version before trying. Thanks!
Matt Meyer wrote:I received a copy of version 3.2.3, build 20070527 from the support staff, but I'm still experiencing the same thing. Is there a config file on the target I must modify to get the ESX initiator to stop freaking?

Thanks,
Matt
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Matt Meyer

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm

I received the correct build and installed. I still am receiving the same errors as in the 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 version.

I can create the Image file and present the LUN to the ESX Servers. The ESX Servers can see the Image File LUN presented by StarWind. I can then format the LUN to VMFS and it shows up perfectly to ESX. But as soon as I try to copy a VM into this LUN, it hangs.

I've sent support the StarWind log file. I just wanted to keep this thread updated in case others out there have the same issue.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 pm

Guys are checking what's wrong with the ImageFile + ESX issue. If DiskBridge works fine for you (AFAIR it does) please stick with it ATM. We'll try to fix ImageFile ASAP. Thanks!
Matt Meyer wrote:I received the correct build and installed. I still am receiving the same errors as in the 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 version.

I can create the Image file and present the LUN to the ESX Servers. The ESX Servers can see the Image File LUN presented by StarWind. I can then format the LUN to VMFS and it shows up perfectly to ESX. But as soon as I try to copy a VM into this LUN, it hangs.

I've sent support the StarWind log file. I just wanted to keep this thread updated in case others out there have the same issue.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

diz

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:09 pm

I am currently using StarWiund iSCSI Target v3.2.2 (build 20070328 Win32) with VMware ESX 3.0.1 Server and having the same problem. Is there a fix available for this?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:16 pm

The solution is to upgrade to the StarWind 3.5
diz wrote:I am currently using StarWiund iSCSI Target v3.2.2 (build 20070328 Win32) with VMware ESX 3.0.1 Server and having the same problem. Is there a fix available for this?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

diz

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:39 am

Could you please send me a link on where to download it from.

Thanks
Mat
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 am

You should receive an e-mail from Bohdan or Valery with the link ATM...
diz wrote:Could you please send me a link on where to download it from.

Thanks
Mat
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev