licensing behavior

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rilliam

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm

We have purchased the professional version of starwind and I am testing it on two seperate machines. Just to verify, does starwind disable itself or fight for a license on the network if it sees another machine using the same license?

The behavior I am getting is that on one machine the service will stop if I start the service on another.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:40 am

What you do is license violation. You cannot run more then one machine using the same license key.
rilliam wrote:We have purchased the professional version of starwind and I am testing it on two seperate machines. Just to verify, does starwind disable itself or fight for a license on the network if it sees another machine using the same license?

The behavior I am getting is that on one machine the service will stop if I start the service on another.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

rilliam

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:32 pm

I appreciate that it is not correct licensing. The question was to verify if the software actively disables itself. For the sake of testing I wanted to replicate the exact configuration on both server, these are not production machines but only for testing. Next time I will use a test license; however, it would be nice to know that the licensing is what is causing the crash of the software. I will take your reply as a yes and note that in my testing.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:01 pm

It should not crash. It should pop up message box telling the same key is used on more then one machine. If it does crash - please send us StarWind debug log (located in the logs folder of the StarWind installation).

If you need to create some sophisticated environment(s) making use of the same key more then 1 time you need to contact RDS management.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

rilliam

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:54 pm

I beleive the problem is related to sid's. The two machines are based from the same virtual machine and for some reason vmware is not prompting me to create new sids. These two machines are not part of a domain and I noticed there were items in the event log related forced network elections. The computer names are different though.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:56 am

Just fine... OK, thanks for the logs we'll take a look at them ASAP :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev