ibvolume boot problem using emboot

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

details

Wed May 30, 2007 1:31 am

Hello all,

I have had success using emboot with an image file but when I try to boot off of an ibvolume I an unable to initiate a successful boot. I get an error about incorrect login credentials. So my question is:

Is there any difference between an image file device and an IBVolume device that requires specific configuration in the microsoft initiator?

Thank you
Jeff
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed May 30, 2007 10:09 am

Jeff,
There is no difference in initiator configuration process.
As for error about incorrect login credentials, this error may occurs when you have mistakes in CHAP configuration.

Please, send us logs from C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarWind\logs\ directory at bohdan@rocketdivision.com
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm

Also it's a good idea to mention did you use netBoot/i or winBoot/i. For netBoot/i we can issue you with a step-by-step manual. For winBoot/i you have to wait for the next 2 weeks or so (estimated).
details wrote:Hello all,

I have had success using emboot with an image file but when I try to boot off of an ibvolume I an unable to initiate a successful boot. I get an error about incorrect login credentials. So my question is:

Is there any difference between an image file device and an IBVolume device that requires specific configuration in the microsoft initiator?

Thank you
Jeff
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

details

Wed May 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Thank you for such a quick responce. I am not using any authentication. (Basicly I am just evaluating the concept of booting webservers remotely I would implement chap later.) Can you think of anything that I might specificely look at that might be different on the san side. I am retracing my steps carefully but when I go from the image to the ibvolume security is somehow applied. Is some type of authentication forced with ibvolume that is not with the image?

Thank you for your time
Jeff
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed May 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Should work just fine... Please send us the logs as Bohdan suggested in the earlier post and we'll do our best to sort the issue out. Thanks!
details wrote:Thank you for such a quick responce. I am not using any authentication. (Basicly I am just evaluating the concept of booting webservers remotely I would implement chap later.) Can you think of anything that I might specificely look at that might be different on the san side. I am retracing my steps carefully but when I go from the image to the ibvolume security is somehow applied. Is some type of authentication forced with ibvolume that is not with the image?

Thank you for your time
Jeff
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software