Unable to connect to target.

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Han

Tue May 29, 2007 2:20 pm

2 VM's running on VMware Workstation 6
1 VM Windows XP SP2 MS iSCSI initiator 2.04
1 VM Longhorn beta 3 StarWind 3.2.3.20070524 with one 16 GB DiskBridge target.
Both VM's firewall switched of. XP client is able to see the target but when I want to initialize the disk this error appears in the System Log: Unspecified error (80004005).
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue May 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Hello Han,

would you please send us StarWind logs from C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarWind\logs\ directory? We'll try to understand what's wrong.

Please, send logs at bohdan@rocketdivision.com
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed May 30, 2007 10:27 am

Hello Han,

There are such errors in your log files:
IMAGE: *** ImageFile_ReadWriteSectors: WriteFileEx(0x00ED0000, 512, 0x0) failed (19).
Error code 19 means "The media is write protected".
Please, check if your vmware virtual disk is write protected. Also you can use ImageFile instead of DiskBridge to check if same error occurs.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 pm

If it's Windows 2008 Server blocking access to the raw disk we'll have to use back door to obain write-valid device handle. Some feedback from the OP is required :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Han

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Ok I had the time to try Windows Server 2003 (plain SP1) instead of 2008 beta 3. Configured StarWind the same way and it works perfect. So it looks like a 2008 issue.
Who or what is the OP?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:33 pm

There's really something with 2008 Server firewall... Our QA guys are having hard times to make it work (other things, non-iSCSI) as well.

OP = Original Poster :)
Han wrote:Ok I had the time to try Windows Server 2003 (plain SP1) instead of 2008 beta 3. Configured StarWind the same way and it works perfect. So it looks like a 2008 issue.
Who or what is the OP?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Han

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Ok so what can I do to help. I was able to connect so one would think the firewall wasn't the issue... just wasn't able to partition the exported disk.
I know port 3260 is the iSCSI port. But when I issue a netstat -an when the StarWind service runs it seems to listen on 3261 too. What's the purpose of this port?
Also I'm a bit confused about security. Authentication can be required twice: once for the connection between management console and the service and the other for the connection between iSCSI initiator and StarWind (target). Correct?
The console connects to the service through port 3260. Correct?
So does the console configures the service through SCSI commands or is there an other protocol used through port 3260 for communication between console and service?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Unable to partition is Windows 2008 server disk access write issue, firewall is another thing. Not iSCSI ralated :)
Han wrote:Ok so what can I do to help. I was able to connect so one would think the firewall wasn't the issue... just wasn't able to partition the exported disk.
I know port 3260 is the iSCSI port. But when I issue a netstat -an when the StarWind service runs it seems to listen on 3261 too. What's the purpose of this port?
Also I'm a bit confused about security. Authentication can be required twice: once for the connection between management console and the service and the other for the connection between iSCSI initiator and StarWind (target). Correct?
The console connects to the service through port 3260. Correct?
So does the console configures the service through SCSI commands or is there an other protocol used through port 3260 for communication between console and service?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Han

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Ok so the issue I've seen is a disk access issue.
How about the other questions. I've read the help and did some experiments but I still do not completely understand. Or should I start a new thread?

Han.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Yes. We already have dedicated component for obtaining write-enabled disk device handle. We hoped we'll not have to use it but looks like we should :(

Yes. Security is applied twice. And yes, it's better to start new thread :) Sorry, I've just missed second part of the posting :)
Han wrote:Ok so the issue I've seen is a disk access issue.
How about the other questions. I've read the help and did some experiments but I still do not completely understand. Or should I start a new thread?

Han.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev