StarWind and RESERVE/RELEASE?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mprowe

Sun May 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi,

I note that in the FAQ (Q18) http://www.rocketdivision.com/faq.html?pr_id=2 that for devices connected with the SPTI,
StarWind should redirect all RESERVE/RELEASE op-codes directly to the device.

However, I'm not sure that this is happening?
I am using StarWind 3.5.1 and StarPort 3.5.4 and the following screen shot shows a device analyser monitoring
the Initiator (left side tab, addrs = .2) and the Target (right side tab, addrs= .3).
The Initiator has issued a series of SCSI CDBs and these IO requests have been trapped and displayed.
I think I see that the Initiator has issued a Reserve/Release pair (counter 6 & 13 - highlighted).
However, these commands are not reflected at the Target? Where have they gone?

First thoughts - Initiator or Target problem? So I watch the network between the two. This next screen shot shows that trace.

From this, I conclude that the Reserve/Release op-codes are leaving the Initiator and are, in fact are being acknowledged by the Target (counters 1228/9 & 1278/9 - highlighted).

Working from this information, I have to conclude that the StarWind service is taking it upon itself to handle the Reserve/Release commands - contrary to FAQ, Q18?

Any advice that would reconcile/correct this option will be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun May 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Before Valery will take a closer look I have a question: are you trying to reserve/release a scanner?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

mprowe

Mon May 19, 2008 6:27 am

I have a question: are you trying to reserve/release a scanner?
Hi Anton, …. Are you psychic? Or is it just a good memory<grin>?

Unfortunately, we Bsc students don’t have the luxury to become disinterested ;-) gota come up with some sort of conclusion, you know!

Martin
Val (staff)

Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Martin,

You are right, the recent StarWind core process reserve/release operations internally for all targets by default.
It's okay for all the virtual device modules, but for such cases with SPTI-mapped devices the internal processing of reservation commands can be switched off.

1) Open StarWind.cfg in notepad and find the SPTI-device you want to disable internal reservation processing.
2) Add 'reservation="no"' to the list of the device's parameters.
3) Restart the StarWindService.

After that the SPTI device should receive the reservation SCSIOPs.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon May 19, 2008 7:08 pm

No I'm not. You just have UMAX Astra 22xx listed as conneted to the StarPort Storage Controller. Your own screenshot :)
mprowe wrote:
I have a question: are you trying to reserve/release a scanner?
Hi Anton, …. Are you psychic? Or is it just a good memory<grin>?

Unfortunately, we Bsc students don’t have the luxury to become disinterested ;-) gota come up with some sort of conclusion, you know!

Martin
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software