Attempting Initial Configuration for 3 Node VSAN linux VSA

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kisingercampo

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 pm

I am attempting the initial setup of a 3 node linux VSA VSAN for an eval for a Veeam Virtual Lab and potentially to replace our HP/Lefthand Storevirtual VSA hyperconverged 5 node setup in the near future of all goes well in the prior stages. Anyway, I have the ESXI installed and cabled on the 3 Dell Poweredge 720xd servers according to the diagram found here https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... ge-672.png and I have deployed the 3 VSA's using the download OVF/VMDK files. I have direct connected the cables between the servers for the ISCSI and Heartbeat networks as shown in the diagram linked above and can access the VSA configuration interface via browser at [ ... ] but where I am somewhat confused is when enabling and configuring the 2nd and 3rd networking interfaces on each VSA what their ip addresses should be based upon the ip configuration of the kernel ports and the virtual switches I configured by following the articles below particularly when it comes to the HA. The other confusion is how to use the Starwind Management Console as I did not find a link to it anywhere. I understand that support is and should be for paying customers first and foremost but if I cannot get the product properly configured in order to be able to test it then how could I ever expect to be able to purchase? Please provide any info that may be of assistance.

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... or-vsphere and https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... sphere-6-5 as well as https://www.vladan.fr/starwind-vsan-on- ... led-setup/ and some additional videos, etc.

Thanks,

Dave
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 am

Hello Dave,
Yes, you can use the IPs according to the diagram.
Regarding StarWind Management Console, you can download and install one on the Windows-based machine and connect to StarWind from the console. Please select StarWind Management Console and Integration Component Library during installation.
kisingercampo

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Thank you I didn't realize the console was only part of the Hyper-V download as I only downloaded the VMWare version. My confusion is if I use the ip addresses such as they are in the diagram for the ESXi hosts then what ip''s should be used for the VSA nics in order to provide HA under the direct cable connections as I have only setup storage appliances previously under a separate storage network or vlan with all servers connected to a switch and not with direct connect where the subnets are configured on a 1 to 1 basis between Hosts/VSA 1 and 2, 1 and 3 and 2 and 3 so this is the part that is confusing to me.
kisingercampo

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:56 pm

I have downloaded the console and when I run it I am getting console v8.0.0 build 13182 and service v8.0.0 build 12859 build versions do not match message stating this can cause issues when I try to connect to the VSA? Please advise on this as well as my previous question for clarity regarding the network configuration.

Thanks again,

Dave
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Dave,

This is an informational message. It should not affect your operation with the StarWind VSAN service.
kisingercampo

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 pm

My confusion is if I use the ip addresses such as they are in the diagram for the ESXi hosts then what ip''s should be used for the VSA nics in order to provide HA under the direct cable connections as I have only setup storage appliances previously under a separate storage network or vlan with all servers connected to a switch and not with direct connect where the subnets are configured on a 1 to 1 basis between Hosts/VSA 1 and 2, 1 and 3 and 2 and 3 so this is the part that is confusing to me. Thanks for the info on the management console.
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:27 am

Since you are using directly connected cables between servers for StarWind ISCSI and synchronization, the main requirement will be to use different subnets and vSwitches on ESXi level for each of the direct connections. .
You are assigning IPs from this subnet for network connections inside StarWind VMs and you should use the IP from the same subnet for vmkernel on ESXi level.
kisingercampo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:25 pm

ok, that makes sense so my hopefully final question on this topic is when the VSA is deployed it only includes 3 vnics but it seems like under this direct connect configuration I would need the VSA to have at least 2 more vnic each to make all the connections to the vswitches. 2 for iscsi each and 2 for sync each plus at least 1 for management to mirror the host config. Is this correct? Should I just add 2 more vnic to each VSA so that all the connections to the vswitches can be made according to the same layout of the hosts? Finally, is it also possible to connect the vsa's to the same SAN via switch on the same subnet rather than this direct connect scenario that seems to confuse the entire situation at least to me.

Thanks again,

Dave
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 am

Dave,
Correct, if you want to use direct links for StarWind ISCSI and synchronization on three-nodes setup, you need at least 5 NICs in total, 2 for StarWind synchronization, 2 for iscsi each and 2 for sync each plus at least 1 for your VMs management.
You can use switch, but you should be aware that only one switch will be a single point of failure.