Confused about VSAN Free

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Thomas_VDB

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi,

We have 2 ESXi 5.5 hosts (HP Proliant Servers), and a physical SAN which acts as shared storage for these hosts.
We need to replace the SAN, and are thinking about VSAN instead of a new physical SAN.
(We have a VMWare Essentials kit license)

I can't seem to find a clear answer to these questions :
- Is it possible with Starwind VSAN free to sync/mirror the local storage of both ESXi hosts (like a network RAID mirror). If not, what would be the best solution?
(Is this what is called the hyper-converged scenario? I've read that it once was free but now not anymore?)
- Is a dedicated gigabit connection between the hosts fast enough, or would a 10GBE connection be better for the syncing?

Thanks!
Thomas.
PoSaP

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi
For now in free license iSCSI connections are restricted for hyper-converged scenario.
But as far as I know you can ask for NFR license(if it`s not production usage) here:
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... ense-users
According to best practices you should use 10GBE NIC`s on sync channel to improve speed.
Thomas_VDB

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi,

Can you explain to me what the free license can be used for, and what the difference is with my case?

Thx!
PoSaP

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:37 am

Main difference is that you can install Starwind into VM`s and use full High Availability features.
More about difference, you can find here:
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/whitep ... s-paid.pdf
Thomas_VDB

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi,

I am sorry but I still don't fully understand.
I am looking for a way to sync/mirror the local storage of 2 ESxi hosts.

Can you tell me if I am correct on these assumptions :
- As I understand it, with StarWind Free, you can turn 2 servers into mirrored SANs. But then you still have 2 physical SANs, that you need to connect to your hosts?
- Using the internal storage of your hosts, is called the hyperconverged scenario. The StarWind software for this is now only available by request?
- When using this hyperconverged scenario, a StarWind VM is running on each host. How does this sync the local storage? Does this mean the syncing stops when the StarWind VM is stopped? What does iSCSI have to do with this?
- Is the local storage still available when the StarWind VM is not running? It must be, how else can you start the VM's?

Thanks for any explanation!
PoSaP

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:02 am

With Starwind free you can`t install Starwind inside VM`s.
In case of Hyper-converged scenario Starwind VM`s are working with local storage.
Synchronization between Vm`s are using direct connections between your ESXi, you need to add those NIC`s into ESXi after add into VM.
Off course, local storage is available even when Starwind VM`s are ON or OFF.
If you want to have some more information, you can read getting started document, thanks.
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/techni ... tarted.pdf
Thomas_VDB

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am also reading the technical papers and it is getting clearer to me.
Can you confirm that I have it right my assumption :
Case: hyperconverged scenario on Esxi, 2 nodes :
Each host 'publishes' its local storage via an iSCSI storage adapter, so that the StarWind VM on the same host can detect the physical datastores
and link them to the VM's virtual disks (.swdsk).
The Starwind VM's sync their swdsk virtual disks, which means that the linked physical datastores are synced as well.

2 questions :
- do the size/type of the datastores on both hosts have to be the same?
- if the datastore on host 1 fails, can host 1 continue working with the synced datastore on the other host,
or does this mean that host 1 is completely down, and host 2 has to take over?
PoSaP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:50 am

In case of Hyper-Converged scenario, you create two VM`s, add Eager Zero datastores based on your physical disks(each VM should me the same)
Install Starwind on your VM`s
Create devices based on previously added Eager Zero datastores
After you connect those devices into your ESXi and create datastores
You have two mirrored VM`s with Starwind, so in case of failure one VM, second is still working.
You no need switch anything, because Starwind HA is active-active technology(you work with two copies of your production).
Thomas_VDB

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Okay thx.

Suppose I' have 2 ESxi hosts, each running some VM's of their local storage.
I would like to install Starwind (hyperconverged scenario)
Do I need to reorganize/move the present vmdk's on that local storage?
PoSaP

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes, you quite right.
You can migrate all your present VM`s into second node, configure first node, create on the first node few Starwind Image files.
Connect them into ESXi, create datastore.
Migrate everything on the first Image file, on the first node.
Configure second ESXi node.
Create HA from your devices, except first image file(while you creating HA from image file, clients will be disconnected for a short time)
Migrate all your production VM`s on HA.
Then from the first Image file you can create HA.
That`s all.
I hope that was helpful.
Thomas_VDB

Sun May 01, 2016 8:48 am

thx. I got it!
Dmitry (staff)
Staff

Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 am

@PoSaP thanks for your help, we are really appreciate it.
@Thomas, that`s great, do not hesitate to ask additional questions.
lohelle

Wed May 04, 2016 10:22 am

If running Starwind Free on two dedicated physical servers (no Hyper-V etc), are there any limitation on HA ISCSI targets (shared storage for ESXi-servers)
Dmitry (staff)
Staff

Wed May 04, 2016 11:44 am

As PoSaP mentioned before, main difference between Free and Paid version is that you can install StarWind into VM`s and use full High Availability features. (it`s Paid version)
And in the Free version iSCSI connections are restricted.
Difference between free and paid: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/whitep ... s-paid.pdf
More conversation about Free version you can find here: https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/vie ... f=5&t=4302
lohelle

Wed May 04, 2016 12:11 pm

So for Free version, remote ISCSI is disabled, even if installed on dedicated physical servers?