Open old Dedupe device

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

pabblo

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:02 pm

I have a client that has been using the iscsi san free product for some time. I created a deduplicated device some time ago and tested it. I then removed the device, but left the core files of the device.
I still have access to the .dddb, .spdata, and spmetadata files. I need to mount this device so I can pull some old files from it.
I tried to create a new device and open an existing device, but they are looking for .img files. I don’t see an option to open an existing dedup device.
I’m using version 6.6.6399 of iscsi san free.

Thanks.
Paul
darklight

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:41 am

You have to select not the IMG file but the SWDSK header file of your LSFS device. Just tried it on my test system, works like a charm.
pabblo

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:04 am

It doesn't work for me that way. When I try to open an existing image device, the open file dialog box is set to look for img file types and i cannot change that. When I try to create a new image device, there is no option to create a dedupe device, as I remember doing in the past. It is like the dedupe device is gone from the version I am using. Did the dedupe image device get removed from the iscsi san product in a certain version?

ps
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi,

Please confirm that the way is the following

Add Device Wizard > Virtual Hard Disk > Deduplication disk device > Mount exciting virtual disk > (browse for files)
pabblo

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 pm

That is missing from the version I am using. Does anyone have a download link to the version that has the dedupe option so I can install it?

thanks.
pabblo

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 pm

OK, I found the .5713 version and installed it onto the server and rebooted it. Now I can add a new device, add existing dedupe device and it sees the existing spdata.
However, when I click next in the wizard, it says "Please wait.." and the gears turn for about 20 seconds, then notifications popup at the bottom right of the screen saying connection with the host on 3261 has been lost/disconnected.
The starwind services are still running.

The wizard is still running, but hitting next again just brings the warning popups again.

I can't mount the old dedupe device. Any ideas?

-ps
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:51 pm

we are working closely.

we will let you know about the result.