Free license error when installing in ESX VMs

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

pcoreventures

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:48 am

I'm trying to install StarWind using two Windows Serve 2012 R2 VMs on two separate ESXi hosts in a Homelab vSphere 5.5 cluster. I requested a free license key and said that I was going to use it for VMware, but I get the following error message during installation:

Error: Wrong license platform.
Error: License platform is not compatible! This license requires platform: Dedicated Physical Server. Your platform is: ESX VM.
error message
error message
starwinderror.tiff (24.86 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Any ideas how to fix this?
darklight

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 am

Hi pcoreventures,

It seems that in latest free version of StarWind was changed a lot. Now it supports only one type of installation. It's bare metal windows server.
So hyper-converged scenario is not able with free version anymore. Only compute and storage separated.

Your current free license means that you can create an HA device on StarWind using two physical servers and then connect this device to your other existing ESXi hosts.
pcoreventures

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:20 pm

darklight wrote:Hi pcoreventures,

It seems that in latest free version of StarWind was changed a lot. Now it supports only one type of installation. It's bare metal windows server.
So hyper-converged scenario is not able with free version anymore. Only compute and storage separated.

Your current free license means that you can create an HA device on StarWind using two physical servers and then connect this device to your other existing ESXi hosts.
Well that stinks. Their hyper-converged whitepaper for vSphere showing that it's possible is less than a year old, and they have occasional banner ads implying that the hyper-converged scenario is still free on the forums.

I mean this page even says that there's a special offer for VMware users and it's free, so I really don't get it.
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... aign=forum
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks for information! We'll update the page to make offering up-to-date :)
pcoreventures wrote:
darklight wrote:Hi pcoreventures,

Well that stinks. Their hyper-converged whitepaper for vSphere showing that it's possible is less than a year old, and they have occasional banner ads implying that the hyper-converged scenario is still free on the forums.

I mean this page even says that there's a special offer for VMware users and it's free, so I really don't get it.
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... aign=forum
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Whole story about StarWind Virtual SAN Free here:

https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/vie ... 273#p24273
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software