Some basic questions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

hongman

Sun May 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi

Sorry in advance if this is really stupid. I have recent;y just got my first iSCSI SAN and it had Starwind CDP preinstalled on it. No CD's, manuals or anything else...right now I just have a couple of basic useage questions please.

The SAN box has 16GB RAM currently.

1. Once a target has been created, is it possible to edit some/all of the settings? I cant seem to find a way to without deleting the target and recreating.

2. I have created 8 targets so far, and I allocated each target writeback cache of 2048MB. Right now most of those are empty and doing nothing, yet memory utilisation is at 92%. Is this normal? Or will I be screwed when this goes into production and users are actually using these targets properly?

3. How does Starwind CDP work??
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am

Hello

1) For now it is possible to extend the size of image file target only
2) It depends on how much RAM do you have, but I`m assuming that there is somewhere around 16 Gigs, right? In this case its normal.
3)CDP replicates block level changes in real time, for zero data loss, when replicating off site. Unlike traditional backups, CDP allows you to restore data to the time immediately before data corruption or application failure for minimizing recovery point to seconds vs minutes or hours. CDP replication saves disk space at the disaster recovery or backups site since it only replicates changed blocks, not entire files.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
hongman

Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 am

Hi

How do I extend the size of an image I have already created?

How do I use CDP to rollback?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue May 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Go to Device tab, right click on the device, and you will see Extend Image Size string.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
hongman

Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 pm

If I go to device tab, the only thing I can right click is the Device name with options to Remove, Force Remove, or Create Snapshot?
Max (staff)
Staff

Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm

So it's not an image file target - It's a snapshot device, this changes everything.
you can find all the info here:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/enhance ... -snapshots
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwin ... protection
I'm closing the thread
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software