Upgrade Problems V4 to V5

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

marcello

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 am

I had two clusters (one File and one with Hyper-V) connected to an iSCSI Target using Starwind V4 as iSCSI-Target-Software.
I got the newest build 210 of Starwind V5 enterprise HA unlimited and wanted to upgrade my Storage Servers to this new version for HA.
After upgrading the software to V5 (I took the old image-files on primary server and create new ones on secondary without synchronising the images) I had on all nodes NEW virtual Harddisks.
I shut down the secondary server to avoid using the wrong (empty) images.
This caused the primary server to lock the images completly and I had to do a complete sync.
Afterwards I had to switch the disks online, initialize and format them so all files on the old images were lost.

This happened everytime I upgraded a store server from V4 to V5.
Constantin (staff)

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Currently we do not support using usual images for HA devices. You can create HA and then copy data from img device to HA.
marcello

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

So that means if I want to upgrade from V4 to V5 and use the High Availibility I have to have twice harddisk space on my storage server - one part for my "old" images and one to create new HA ones and copy.
Constantin (staff)

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm

For now - yes. But if you want, I`ll provide you with build that will allow use usual img as HA.
After copying data to HA you, of course, can delete source usual img file