Clarification needed on the semantics of synchronization!

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

adns

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 am

I have a big gripe about the HA feature which should be relatively easy to resolve as it's really just a matter of clarity! To syncronize an existing .img to a new HA partner you get this screen:
The wording is not exactly clear on which direction the synchronization will occur. There either needs to be a better description or a picture showing something like Primary Server -> Secondary Server and the reverse.

I have the same problem if I reboot a host my targets are all out of sync. It is not clear which one I should be right-clicking and choosing synchronize. If I reboot server B should I be synchronizing the targets on B or on A? The documentation is weak on this piece.

Am I alone on this?
adns

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Just wanted to add that in the first instance I mention, I found that if you click the help button there is a clear description of what each option does.
Robert (staff)

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:46 am

You should sync the server that was out for some reason for some time, ex. server B was out and came out of sync. You should sync server B. Actually StarWind should give you a tip. if you select a wrong direction - you should get an error message that "Partner server is out of sync".

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
TomHelp4IT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes, this confused me too - when writing the documentation for our first client install I put in a special note saying that if you get the "partner server is out of sync" message then you are attempting to sync the wrong way so cancel immediately.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:24 pm

New updated GUI in post V5.5 will have this re-visited to avoid confusion.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software