Can't mount remote drive -- "Error returned (-10)...&qu

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

kingces

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 am

I've been able to add my hard drive and CD drive to StarWind on my server. From my client I am able to access the CD drive via StarPort but when I try to access my hard drive I get an error. In my StarWindService.exe (debug) log I see:

'\\.\PhysicalDrive0': *** Can't be Locked (error 5)!
'\\.\PhysicalDrive0': Error returned (-10). The drive can't be locked!
'\\.\PhysicalDrive0': Can't lock the drive's volumes. Free locked list...
'\\.\PhysicalDrive0': Can't Lock volumes for PhysicalDrive0!
*ERROR* can't register Session. The device '\\.\PhysicalDrive0' may be owned by a local process

So I'm wondering how to unlock the drive. Or even if that's possible. I have a funny feeling I'm doing someting real dumb... :)

Some more background...
The computer are both connected to the same home router (so they have IP addresses like 192.168.1.2) but they are not on the same Workgroup. The server is my work laptop connected to an Active Directory account and I don't want to have to take it off the AD account and move it onto a Workgroup. I've been using FTP to trfx files between them but mounting the drives would be so much nicer.

I also didn't use the explorer.exe to "share" out the drive (there is no little server hand under the HD icon). Is that a problem? I didn't share out the CD player in explorer and I was still able to mount that via StarPort to StarWind... so I'm guessing that's not a problem.

I didn't modify the config file except to add a login name and password. I did everything else using the UI.

Thanks,
Chris
Val (staff)

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi kingces,

This error message means that your drive is used by the local system and it can not be shared as an iSCSI target in R/W mode.
'\\.\PhysicalDrive0' is the system drive, so it is always used by the local system.
It's only possible to export a non-system hard drive with SPTI.

To share some storage space from your system drive you can use the ImageFile plug-in or other virtual plug-ins.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Snow123

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:03 pm

So it is same to me!I didn't modify the config file except to add a login name and password. I did everything else using the UI. :D
aaron (staff)

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:42 pm

You cannot share whole system drive. If you need export some iSCSI target use ImageFile-based storage instead of SPTI (not recommended for the hard disks at all - very low performance as Microsoft designed SPTI as serialized, no overlapped I/O possible) or DiskBridge mode.
Snow123 wrote:So it is same to me!I didn't modify the config file except to add a login name and password. I did everything else using the UI. :D
Regards,
Aaron Korfer

Sales & Support
Rocket Division Software