Accessing Lightscribe DVD drive via iSCSI

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

astrand

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 am

Hi, I'm looking for an iSCSI solution which allows access to use a
Lightscribe DVD drive over the network. I've tried StarPort/StarWind,
but unfortunately, without luck. For some reason, the Lightscribe
software does not recognize the StarPort-mounted drive as Lightscribe
compatible.

Is this supposed to work? Any ideas?
Val (staff)

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 am

Hi,
StarWind is able to export CD/DVD burners as iSCSI targets with its SPTI module.
This works well and is proven by many of our customers.

Does your burning software recognize the burner running on the local machine?

Please give us more details about the configuration of your machines (OS versions, hardware, the burner model, etc)
Best regards,
Valeriy
astrand

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm

Yes, I'm using the SPTI module. My burning software is Nero 6. "Normal burning" works, even over iSCSI. Lightscribe burning only works on the local machine (target), not on the initiator machine, neither through Nero CoverDesigner, nor with the "Simple Labeler" provided by LightScribe.

I've tried both Windows XP and 2003 server, with all updates. The burner is a Samsung TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L with the latest firmware (TS04).

As I understand, Lightscribe burning requires a running Lightscribe service, which is part of the "Lightscribe System Software". Could it be that this service cannot access the drive? I've tried modifying the service to login as the same user that's running the desktop, but that didn't help.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 pm

First of all I'd suggest you to upgrade to Nero 7. Second ther's local service installed I guess it's the thing preventing LS from working. We can "redirect" the drive but we cannot fix broken service working only locally - that's the point.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

astrand

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:06 pm

I doubt Nero 7 will work, since HPs own Lightscribe tools doesn't work. Also, I don't have a Nero 7 license.

With "broken", you mean that it's accessing the hardware directly somehow? My gut
feeling is also that the service is to blaim, but it would be nice if we could "prove" this somehow.

I've contacted the HP support about this problem, but their response was simply:

"currently there are no networked LightScribe labeling solutions available."
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:23 pm

Never say never! (c) ... Nero7 is free to try so pay only for download.

Well... HP support have no idea about StarWind and it's hardware "redirection" technique (looks like they still live in stone age, Alcohol 120% uses this one for more then a year already!).

You may bring us HP support adding us to %CC% and we may try to deal with them to make the things fixed. I still think it's extra service doing some back door job...

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Snow123

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 pm

For some reason, the Lightscribe
software does not recognize the StarPort-mounted drive as Lightscribe
compatible. :?
aaron (staff)

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 pm

Looks like it also checks adapter properties and does not like to burn to non-ATAPI burners. I don't see what could be done here :(
Regards,
Aaron Korfer

Sales & Support
Rocket Division Software