How to dismount the connected device

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

cyberman

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi,
I can't dismount the connected device.in main menu,I just found 'remove
deivce' function.How to do it?
Val (staff)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:55 am

cyberman wrote:Hi,
I can't dismount the connected device.in main menu,I just found 'remove
deivce' function.How to do it?
Hi,
to remove a device from StarPort you use 'Remove device'.
But if the device is in use by a process, the system will reject your request.
So please check it whether your applications do not use the device before a remove attempt.
Best regards,
Valeriy
cyberman

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi,
when I use ms iscsi initiator,I can logoff the target and logon again when i
need this device,even I can use commandline to logoff or logon the target.
but from starport,after I removed the device,I must reconfigure this target using GUI if I want connect again.I want reserve the target setting
and mount or dismount the device freely,How can i do?
Val (staff)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:58 pm

cyberman wrote:Hi,
when I use ms iscsi initiator,I can logoff the target and logon again when i
need this device,even I can use commandline to logoff or logon the target.
but from starport,after I removed the device,I must reconfigure this target using GUI if I want connect again.I want reserve the target setting
and mount or dismount the device freely,How can i do?
The recent StarPort does not include any command line tools to configure devices. You are the first customer who request the feature.
We are planning to add it in one of the next versions.
Best regards,
Valeriy
fat_squirrel

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Are command line capabilities available yet with Starport?
Val (staff)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:42 pm

fat_squirrel wrote:Are command line capabilities available yet with Starport?
No. And we have no plans to provide such a tool for the moment.

Can you tell us what features of StarPort GUI do not suit your needs?
Best regards,
Valeriy
fat_squirrel

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Valery -

I am looking to be able to automate mounting/dismounting of drives via a script running on a management station that would be used for a remote failover/failback scenarios. I can do this with MS initiator (as pointed out earlier) but I am getting significantly better performance when using StarPort when hitting StarWind targets. IT is tedious to have to use the GUI to do this on initiator hosts. Thanks for you help!
Val (staff)

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:12 pm

fat_squirrel wrote:Valery -

I am looking to be able to automate mounting/dismounting of drives via a script running on a management station that would be used for a remote failover/failback scenarios. I can do this with MS initiator (as pointed out earlier) but I am getting significantly better performance when using StarPort when hitting StarWind targets. IT is tedious to have to use the GUI to do this on initiator hosts. Thanks for you help!
Hi,

We'll think about adding the feature. But I can't answer when it is included into the package.

BTW what are average throughoutput with StarPort and MS Initiator for the same task?
Best regards,
Valeriy
fat_squirrel

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 pm

I get about 60% throughput with MSISCSI when compared to Starport regardless of target/client hardware.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:56 am

According to our cross-tests (run about a year ago when SBS and MS were different companies) MS iSCSI initiator works well with WinTarget only. Maybe after acquasion we'll have different picture. They have plenty of time, money and human resources now :)
fat_squirrel wrote:I get about 60% throughput with MSISCSI when compared to Starport regardless of target/client hardware.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

fat_squirrel

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Thanks for your replies but I don't think you are addressing the main question raised in this thread - is there a non-GUI method (com, command line, whatever) do mount/dismount starport devices?

This is the KEY feature if you guys are looking to move into the enterprise markets. Again, MSISCSI does this but it underperforms (as noted previously).
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:38 pm

We would be releasing freeware binary Starport SDK in the very beginning of 2007 (January-February). I think it woud close this question.
fat_squirrel wrote:Thanks for your replies but I don't think you are addressing the main question raised in this thread - is there a non-GUI method (com, command line, whatever) do mount/dismount starport devices?

This is the KEY feature if you guys are looking to move into the enterprise markets. Again, MSISCSI does this but it underperforms (as noted previously).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

fat_squirrel

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Hello - I am just checking back in to see if the freeware SDK is avaiable yet. I am still using msicsi and would like to migrate to starport, but I need a non-gui method to mount/dismount volumes.

Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:39 pm

We plan to have WMI & scripts shortly after we'll have encryption, tunnellling, replication and VTL as part of the StarPort.

And no free SDK is planned ever... Sorry for this!
fat_squirrel wrote:Hello - I am just checking back in to see if the freeware SDK is avaiable yet. I am still using msicsi and would like to migrate to starport, but I need a non-gui method to mount/dismount volumes.

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev