How to Fix Read-Only NVMe-oF Initiator Disk Issue in Windows

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

hassel

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:16 am

I am currently facing an issue with loading an NVMe-oF target on Windows using StarWind VSAN. The setup consists of a Windows Server 2022 running the StarWind VSAN to create the NVMe-oF target, and a Windows 11 workstation running the StarWind NVMe-oF initiator to load the disk. Both computers use ConnectX 4 network cards. RDMA functionality and rPerf testing were conducted and found to be functioning correctly.

However, when using the StarWind NVMe-oF initiator to load the disk on the client-side, the disk loads successfully but cannot be formatted. The system prompts that the medium is write-protected, and the status is read-only.

I am looking for advice on how to resolve this read-only disk issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:20 am

Greetings,

Write-protected status relates to the target itself, not StarWind Initiator.
If you use GUI-enabled version of StarWind VSAN, please reach out to support@starwind.com
hassel

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:36 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Greetings,

Write-protected status relates to the target itself, not StarWind Initiator.
If you use GUI-enabled version of StarWind VSAN, please reach out to support@starwind.com

I'm using StarWind VSAN NFR, which I think doesn't come with technical support, so I'm reaching out to the community for help. It seems like the issue might be related to the target. Do you have any other information or tips you could share with me? I'll explore it further. Thanks for your response.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 am

You can still reach out to us with NFR license.
As mentioned, it is likely to be the issue outside of StarWind world, OR you created the read-only target. The best would be to reach out to StarWind Support at support@starwind.com
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:29 pm

Please try disabling the read-only parameter via PowerShell
set-disk -number <disk number> -isReadOnly $False