reinstall of Win2K - missing starport.sys ?

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

isrd1

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Sorry but I don't know what starport is as software, I don't believe I have installed it unless it is bundled with some other software. I am trying to reinstall my copy of Windows 2000 and having copied over the installation files, the installation reboots but then complains that it can't locate starport.sys - can anyone tell me what software this came with and what it does and where can I get the particular sys file the installation is complaining about. Alternatively perhaps I can uninstall the software that requires the sys file - if only I knew what it was ;-)
Val (staff)

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:25 pm

isrd1 wrote:Sorry but I don't know what starport is as software, I don't believe I have installed it unless it is bundled with some other software. I am trying to reinstall my copy of Windows 2000 and having copied over the installation files, the installation reboots but then complains that it can't locate starport.sys - can anyone tell me what software this came with and what it does and where can I get the particular sys file the installation is complaining about. Alternatively perhaps I can uninstall the software that requires the sys file - if only I knew what it was ;-)
Hi,

As you know nothing about StarPort I guess some third party software instralled on your machine used it inside.
Could you send me the list of installed software for the machine?

As the last resort it's possible to delete the registry key for the driver to effectively remove it from your system. (HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/StarPort)
Best regards,
Valeriy
isrd1

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:16 am

Since the first message I realise that it's being used by my Quantum Fireball SCSI drive. I'm trying to reinstall win2K and although I notice that the installation routine has placed starport.sys in the installation directory it still reports an error of not finding it. I am asked to insert the installation disks for my SCSI drive just as the win2k installation starts, unfortunately I don't have any such disks. Might you be able to help with that?
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:29 am

isrd1 wrote:Since the first message I realise that it's being used by my Quantum Fireball SCSI drive. I'm trying to reinstall win2K and although I notice that the installation routine has placed starport.sys in the installation directory it still reports an error of not finding it. I am asked to insert the installation disks for my SCSI drive just as the win2k installation starts, unfortunately I don't have any such disks. Might you be able to help with that?
Hi,

Our driver has nothing to do with any hard disk vendor.

Are you sure the driver is stArtport.sys and not stOrport.sys (a standard Windows system driver)?
Best regards,
Valeriy
isrd1

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:37 am

Dear Valery,

thank you for troubling to reply. I thought the file was named starport.sys, without the 'T' and certainly not stOrport.sys but I'll double check when I get back home from work later today.

thanks, Rob
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:54 am

isrd1 wrote:Dear Valery,

thank you for troubling to reply. I thought the file was named starport.sys, without the 'T' and certainly not stOrport.sys but I'll double check when I get back home from work later today.

thanks, Rob
Rob,

Yes, this is my fault - starport.sys is the correct name of our driver.
Best regards,
Valeriy
isrd1

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 pm

Dear Valery,

the driver reported as missing is "starport.sys" and other searches on the web suggests this is the name of a SCSI driver for my Quantum scsi disk - coincidence of names it seems and nothing to do with your company. Thanks again for replying.

regards, Rob
Val (staff)

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:30 pm

isrd1 wrote:Dear Valery,

the driver reported as missing is "starport.sys" and other searches on the web suggests this is the name of a SCSI driver for my Quantum scsi disk - coincidence of names it seems and nothing to do with your company. Thanks again for replying.

regards, Rob
Dear Rob,

Thank you for the information.
It was my first thought that the driver is not our StarPort.

Good luck! :)
Best regards,
Valeriy