Guide to Deploying StarWind iSCSI Accelerator

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

NickKulkarni

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:58 am

Hi All,
Looking for some setup information particularly in how to do this with existing iSCSI connections.
I am going to be honest and say I am a noob to this software (although I am an IT professional of 20 years) so please bear with me. I am probably overthinking this but it's our company production environment I am working in and there is no lab: its live or nothing.

I have found in some of the posts that installing this only works for newly created iSCSI connections i.e. it does not "upgrade" existing connections.

If this is true then the questions I have are:
how exactly do you recreate the connection i.e. do you simply delete the existing MS iSCSI connection and recreate or do you have to create new target iSCSI as well?
As the targets are both Linux based NAS boxes deploying the Accelerator at both ends is not an option I believe so am I wasting my time.

For clarity I am looking to deploy this on a ESXi VMWare hosted Windows 2012 R2 server that is a Veeam Backup and Replication Server with drives mapped to iSCSI targets on two separate NAS boxes (FreeNas and ReadyNas) which have existing iSCSI extents on them.

I am looking to see if this will improve performance between the server and the nas because despite a 1Gbe NIC pair in LAGG the best transfer I can get is 100Mb/s max. Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:35 am

Hi,

Welcome to StarWind Forum!
how exactly do you recreate the connection i.e. do you simply delete the existing MS iSCSI connection and recreate or do you have to create new target iSCSI as well?
Install the iSCSI Accelerator software, connect old targets once again, and remove old connections.
iSCSI accelerator works for Windows Server only. In other words, it helps to help MS iSCSI Initiator doing load balancing, so you will see the improvement only if you present iSCSI targets to Windows Server.
eyjangle

Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:45 pm

It seems like you're looking for guidance on deploying iSCSI connections and considering using an accelerator in your production environment. While I can provide some general advice, it's important to note that working with live production environments carries inherent risks and it's crucial to exercise caution and consider seeking assistance from experienced professionals or contacting technical support for specific software or hardware involved.
Last edited by eyjangle on Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:24 pm

I am not sure if I follow.
iSCSI accelerator can be used in production and there are many users who do use it in production.