WinTarget problems

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

HALO

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:07 pm

I've tried using your StarPort with WinTarget iSCSI target. However it simply does not work. StarPort connects to WinTarget and Device Managers shows WinTarget disk. But Disk Management Console shows no new devices even after a couple of "Refresh" clicks. What's going on? Did you guys ever run interoperability tests with other iSCSI targets? Well, StarWind works fine for me but it's always good to have an option!
Val (staff)

Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:47 pm

Halo,

Thank you for the feedback.
We already know about the issue with WinTarget.

The problem was in original architecture of the SBS WinTarget product.
They implemented the only "target" per site and add all shared disks to it as LUNs beginning from LUN 1.

Now we added support of such a target implementation to StarPort.
We're releasing the next StarPort version these days.

I hope the new StarPort version will work for you without problems. :)
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:25 pm

Back to the original poster...

First of all, SBS do thing we'd call "very questionable". Generally speaking LUN numbering starts from 0 (ZERO) and not 1 (ONE) which is EXACTLY their case. So it maybe not so good idea to give hard times to other developers violating SCSI-2 specification. My proud IMHO :)

Second, we'd be happy to test their code but all my kind requests to join their beta testing team were simply ignored. So we'd got first chance to test them just few days ago when they had created public demo download (I think after they found we do the same :) ).

If we'd got beta version of SBS stuff we'd fix (OK, workarounded THEIR) problem monthes ago. For now please wait till our next update would be available. Or use our own StarWind iSCSI target instead. I think we can make you an offer you can hardly refuse :)

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software