Multi-CORAID access using StarWind AoE Initiator

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

MABC

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

I have two separate CORAID SR420 units. On each I have set up a single RAID10 volume that is online. I need to attach both to a single laptop which only has one Ethernet port on it. To do this, I have inserted a network switch between my laptop and the two CORAID units. In order for StarWind AoE Initiator to see both devices, I have discovered that I have to make the lblade numbers different on the CORAID units (e.g. lblade 1 on first CORAID, lblade 2 on second CORAID).

e.g. I use "make 1 raid10 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3" on one CORAID and "make 2 raid10 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3" on the other

I don't understand why I have to do this. I can't see any field in the AoE format specification that relates to lblade number. Can you explain this behaviour? I thought it would be the different MAC addresses of the two CORAID units that would differentiate between them, but this seems not to be the case. If both CORAID units are set up with the same lblade number I can only see one of them from StarWind AoE Initiator.
Val (staff)

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,

According to the AoE specification each AoE disk connected to a separate Ethernet segment must have its unique "major.minor" id.
Othewise disks with the same ids will look the same for initiators and that may lead to data corruption, so the device ids are very important.
Best regards,
Valeriy