Starport/AoE initiator is not conneting after failed

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

josef.lauterbach

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 am

We have already installed data storages CORAID SR2421. Our configuration is 3xSR2421(4xLUN with RAID5 for each unit) and this three units are connected with one switch with management and 6 servers(combined-each server is connected to two deferent part of LUN → redundant). Everything is going well, but...
We have this problems:
1. If its connecting lost between data storage/server/switch and data are uploading/downloading on data storage its take a while until software AoE initiator going to “failed”. After restore connection is not possible to make a connection between data storage and server. We don’t know why. We have to restart server and after that it is OK. Do you have any idea what we can do?
2. If its connection lost between server and switch Starport / AOE initiator is going to “connecting” but data storage is not connected until restart server
3. If its connection lost between data storage and switch Starport / AOE initiator is going to “failed” but data storage is not connected until restart server
4. Can you recommend me settings for switch in this situation with VLAN?
5. Data storage SR2421 have two 1Gbit LAN, but its not working like dual. If I disconnect one of two LAN, Starport / AOE initiator is going to “failed”. Can you tell me how to fix it?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 pm

You should perform actions below:

1. Download and install Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/)

2. Run Wireshark.

3. Open "Select capture options..." dialog from the toolbar
(the second icon) or from the menu Capture->Options (Ctrl+K)

4. Select the desired interface from the drop-list

5. Enter "ether proto 0x88A2" in the Capture filter field.

6. Press "Start"

7. Reproduce your issues.

8. Stop the capture by pressing the 4-th icon on the toolbar or from
the menu Capture-Options (Ctrl+E)

9. Save the capture file by pressing save icon on the toolbar or from
the menu File-Save (Ctrl+S)
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
josef.lauterbach

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

And what I can do next?
josef.lauterbach

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am

If I enter "ether proto 0x88A2" in the Capture filter field it doesnt working. If I enter "ether proto 0x0806" this time it`s working
Vitalii (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 am

josef.lauterbach wrote:If I enter "ether proto 0x88A2" in the Capture filter field it doesnt working. If I enter "ether proto 0x0806" this time it`s working
"ether proto 0x0806" shows only ARP packets (which ethernet type is 0x0806)
you need to see only AoE packets, so the correct filter is "ether proto 0x88A2"

If you do not see any packets, it means that there are no AoE packets on chosen interface. Try choosing other interface.
josef.lauterbach

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:19 am

OK, I will check it, but what next?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 pm

I believe that it is necessary to solve problems as they become available. But once again if we will see that any packets with mentioned filters, it will mean that there are no AoE packets on chosen interface, so you have missconfigured your setup.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
josef.lauterbach

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm

We just found this... If is data storage CORAID connected to Server and on this server is running AoE initiator and after this situation is disconnected patch cord than AoE Initiator stopped sending packets(network adapter is down/disconnected). After reconnect patch cord, AoE Initiator resend all packets which wasn`t delivery and after this server is connected to data storage.

If is switch between data storage and server, and connection is lost between CORAID and switch, than AoE Initiator resend data witch wasn`t delivery and if AoE Initiator don`t received "answer" AoE Initiator is going to "failed". After reconnected communication, AoE Initiator doesn`t send packets and for this reason connection can not be restore. This situation we can see in logs from wireshark see annex. How should work reconnect in AoE Initiator after failed?

Can you tell me how important are ARP`s packets in this case which only forwarding MAC address to IP? AoE`s protocol working only on L2 MAC`s address. Switch is set by default. If the bag in setting of switch, AoE Initiator try reconnecting (which should be in Wireshark) and switch should have problems with this packets. But its not true – after AoE intiator went „failed“, AoE Initiator dont sending any data for reconnecting. Can you send me, how is working connect and reconnect in application AoE Initiator?

Tahnk you
prntm.JPG
prntm.JPG (74.35 KiB) Viewed 26514 times
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you for informing us about this. We will pass this to our R&D team.

Thank you :D
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
ZoleWoogils

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 am

hi all...
Life is life
Anatoly (staff)
Staff