AoE Initiator for VMware

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

pneumatic

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Is StarWind going to make an AoE software initiator for VMware ESXi in the future?

In my testing, AoE is head and shoulders above iSCSI and on-par with fiber channel at a fraction of the cost.

Since it is datagram-based, the bandwidth can scale with additional ports, unlike IP-based solutions (which can be multi-path in the context that each conversation must take place on a single port, limiting max bandwidth for each to the speed of a single port). I can get 10 Gb/s for under $1000 using my existing gigabit switches.

This is unreal. It is a shame that CORAID limits their VMware AoE driver to only CORAID HBAs (which are just standard cheap old Intel NICs).
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

No we don't have any plans to have anything like that. You may read this:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... t2332.html

to find out why exactly. I don't feel like willing to start another holy war here. But time is going to show who's the winner (it does already actually).
pneumatic wrote:Is StarWind going to make an AoE software initiator for VMware ESXi in the future?

In my testing, AoE is head and shoulders above iSCSI and on-par with fiber channel at a fraction of the cost.

Since it is datagram-based, the bandwidth can scale with additional ports, unlike IP-based solutions (which can be multi-path in the context that each conversation must take place on a single port, limiting max bandwidth for each to the speed of a single port). I can get 10 Gb/s for under $1000 using my existing gigabit switches.

This is unreal. It is a shame that CORAID limits their VMware AoE driver to only CORAID HBAs (which are just standard cheap old Intel NICs).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software