AoE: Device Access is Denied

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Bill.French

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello. I really need some help. I'm getting "Device Access is Denied" when trying to connect to a Coraid AoE device. Coraid says everything looks ok, and that there's nothing in their system to prevent a server from connecting. The coraid unit is directly connected over ethernet (no switch or anything else involved) to a dedicated ethernet port. It has worked for years.

The logs for the AoE initiator don't seem to have anything interesting in them at all:

2/6 19:35:35 a04 ntsrv: StarAoE Service v5.5 (Build 20091120, WinXP x86)
2/6 19:35:35 a04 Srv: No bound volumes found.
2/6 19:35:35 a04 Srv: Service started.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm

1) Make sure you have StarEther driver started and listed as available protocol for NIC you're routing AoE traffic with.

2) If 1) is OK please install Wireshark and gather Ethernet traffic logs for connection attempt.

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Bill.French

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 pm

i found and reinstalled an older version of starport and that seemed to fix the issue. The newest version of the aoe initiator could not connect from 3 different systems.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Does not sound like a good idea to me. Absolutely. Old versions have own issues so we'd better fix the most recent one rather then finding a workaround.
Bill.French wrote:i found and reinstalled an older version of starport and that seemed to fix the issue. The newest version of the aoe initiator could not connect from 3 different systems.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software