Starport errors on create, no drive at reboot

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

napoleon41

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Been using the MS initiator, but the cursed thing was driving me nuts, and I had to remove it in safe mode on one.

On 2 newly loaded MS 2003 application servers, I have installed the latest (just downloaded today) version of starport. Install went fine. Connected 2 new (1 each servers) "remote iscsi" connections, and am having the same issue with both drives not coming up after reboot.

I have to stop the service for a few seconds, start the service and then wait. After a minute, the connections appear and connect. Then I have to go to Device manager and scan for new drives. Up they come and tada, they are under Explorer. Pretty painful for my applications which all have services dependent on those drives.

Any ideas? Try an earlier client version? Reinstall the starport iSCSI driver?

There is no firewall on the servers as they are inhouse only, and I'm not doing anything funky with networking. Straight 1GB connection into the same switch as the iSCSI Target machines ( [ junky iSCSI target name is here ] . . . please no hate . . . I needed NFS but seriously considered StarWind).
Max (staff)
Staff

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 am

Where did you manage to get StarPort, we have officialy disontinued it some time ago :)
Please get the iSCSI initiator from here:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/downloa ... rSetup.exe
Also notice that it is intended for personal and testing use, not for the production environment.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
napoleon41

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Off the StarWind website. Just clicked on the link, filled out the web request form, and got a download link via email.

Here's the top of the email I got after filling out the request on the main page.

Dear Joshua Gray,

Thank you for downloading the StarPort iSCSI Initiator.

Please download the software using this link:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/download/1/starport.exe

Honestly, it's listed on the downloads page of starwindsoftware.com
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/downloads

Glad to know that there is something else, though. Thanks for the link.
napoleon41

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Also curious about your last sentence.
Also notice that it is intended for personal and testing use, not for the production environment.
Starwind server is not for personal use or testing, right. I seem to remember getting a quote from you guys for 2 enterprise licenses. Does the free initiator suddenly become "enterprise" when used with an enterprise starwind product, or is there a different initiator?

I looked around the site and didn't see an "enterprise" iscsi initiator. Is it possible to purchase licenses for the enterprise initiator? Is there a demo download location?
napoleon41

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Same thing with the newer iScsi initiator.

Install goes great, go to add a device, and I get:

The following device was install:
No device description

An error occured during the installation of the device
Create of the iSCSI device failed with all the addresses supplied by the server

But when I hit finish, low a behold the device appears. Now I can go into device management and rescan for drives and the data mounts and becomes available.
Max (staff)
Staff

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 am

StarWind Server is an enterprise product, but both StarPort and iSCSI initiator from StarWind software are only free products. I will remove the log piece and will be very grateful if you send the whole logfile to our support mailbox (please use the same topic so I will be able to recognize your mail among the others). Most of our cutomers are using the initiator from Microsoft and have no complaints about it's work, as you mentioned that you are our customer you can count on a remote support session, where me or my collegue will help you to fix all the issues. Please note that in the email if you are interested.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software