Sync status

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

haahof

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 pm

My Mirror (local image + remote Starwind SCSI target) broke due to an unexpected, and dirty shudown. The mirror device is 500GB of which around 300GB is filled with data. My question is wheather it is faster to re-sync the mirror or replace the mirror?

I am syncing them for now, but I cannot find a status indicator. I thought there was one when I initiated the sync, but its not there now.

Device status:
Mirror 1:
Address: LocalMirror.img
State: Valid

Mirror 2:
Address: :RemoteMirror(Starwind Target)
State: Invalid

Active mirror: 1

Mirrors are not synchronized

This doesn't seem to indicate that a re-sync is in progress, but if I try to start the re-sync process again it tells me:
(RAID1) Other service operation is running.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-christopher
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:32 am

It's not clear from your post, do you create mirror with StarPort or StarWind?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

haahof

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Sorry.. Yes its starport mirroring a local image file to a remote starwind ISCSI target. It actually finished syncing this morning. Not bad for a 500GB image over a 5Mbps WAN connection.

Thanks for the response.

-christopher
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Wow, you're putting our stuff under heavy pressure :) StarPort mirror is not expected to be run over WAN actually. For a very simple reason - you'll have to tune local file system
settings to avoid "Delayed Write Failed..." system message (and device getting inaccessable). Local file systems don't expect HUGE I/O delays you'll definitely see over the WAN.
haahof wrote:Sorry.. Yes its starport mirroring a local image file to a remote starwind ISCSI target. It actually finished syncing this morning. Not bad for a 500GB image over a 5Mbps WAN connection.

Thanks for the response.

-christopher
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software