2008 Clustering disk validation problem

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

krede1

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 am

Hi.
Im trying out the StarWind / StartPort software at the moment. My test lab include 3 Hyper-V machines - 2 nodes and 1 "SAN" (starWind).
On my Nodes (2008 SP2) im using StarPort initator - but i Cant seem to get through the cluster validation test - it goes down on the disks:
No disks were found on which to perform cluster validation tests. To correct this, review the following possible causes:
* The disks are already clustered and currently Online in the cluster. When testing a working cluster, ensure that the disks that you want to test are Offline in the cluster.
* The disks are unsuitable for clustering. Boot volumes, system volumes, disks used for paging or dump files, and disks that do not use NTFS are examples of disks unsuitable for clustering.
* The disks are not visible to all nodes (even though they are in shared storage). Review the "List All Disks" test to see which disks are visible to all nodes. Ensure that the disks you want to test are unmasked, that is, your masking or zoning does not prevent access to the disks. If the disks seem to be unmasked or zoned correctly but could not be tested, try restarting the servers before running the validation tests again.
* The cluster does not use shared storage. A cluster must use a hardware solution based either on shared storage or on replication between nodes. If your solution is based on replication between nodes, you do not need to rerun Storage tests. Instead, work with the provider of your replication solution to ensure that replicated copies of the cluster configuration database can be maintained across the nodes.
No disks were found on which to perform cluster validation tests.

I have followered the 2008 Cluster guide provided by StarWind

regard
Christian
krede1

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:07 am

I also found this in the validation report:
Disk bus type does not support clustering. Disk partition style is MBR. Disk partition type is BASIC.

I have 3 shared disk connected to both host - and they are BASIC / MBR
Robert (staff)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 am

Christian,

For building a shared storage for Windows Servers you should use MS iSCSI Initiator. Starport does not support persistent reservation at this point, so for building MS Windows Clusters with StarWind shared storage please use MS iSCSI Initiator.

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
krede1

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 am

Hi again.
I actually tried that before installing the StartPort initator – but when using Windows 2008 native iSCSI initator the Disk ID seems to change after reboot.
When I initially add the disks (3 shared disks) they get disk ID in the order they got added – but after a reboot they seem to move around – because of that the disk ID is not alike between the to cluster nodes.
Should that have any impact on the cluster? Or is the cluster exclusively bound to the drive letters?

/Christian
Robert (staff)

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Clustering configuration should do the job.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
fengclient

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:17 am

I've resovled this issue by change to use basic disk in iSCSI target side. [i'm using ms intialitor]

either attach a basic physic disk on iSCSI target side or convert it to basic.

see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 71404.aspx, we need to use "BASIC disk"
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Thank you very much for keeping us updated!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software