StarPort RAID-1 and Windows 2008 Clustering

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

MatthewK

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Is it possible to use a StarPort RAID-1 with Windows 2008 Clustering?
Robert (staff)

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:32 pm

MatthewK,

If you we are talking about building a RAID-1 configuration using StarPort and then connecting Windows 2008 Cluster to this target as to a shared resource - then the answer is yes, this is possible.

If you would like to build an MS Cluster first and then cluster StarPort itself - then this is not really possible since StarPort is a driver and you cannot actually cluster the driver using the regular tools.

Thanks
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
MatthewK

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Robert (staff) wrote:MatthewK,
If you we are talking about building a RAID-1 configuration using StarPort and then connecting Windows 2008 Cluster to this target as to a shared resource - then the answer is yes, this is possible.
My goal is redundancy of iSCSI targets.

Let me give you an example configuration.

5 servers: Node1, Node2, Node3, StarWind1, StarWind2

StarWind1 and StarWind2 have an identical configuration and export identical iSCSI LUNs.
Node1, Node2, and Node3 each have identical StarPort RAID 1 devices created across the StarWind servers and are running 2008 Server w/failover clustering enabled.

Can I run 2008 failover clustering using this configuration?
Robert (staff)

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:47 pm

You can use StarWind to build a Windows cluster and you do not actually need StarPort for that (and you will not be able to use it actually). Right now creating an automatically failover with StarWind iSCSI Target is not possible, but some good news regarding the automatic failover capabilities of our products will soon be announced.

Thanks
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com