Windows My Computer Drive Mapping

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

florian

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Evaluating StarWind & StarPort
I have installed S/W on a test machine, created several small disk images and made them available for connections.

I have used S/P to make a connection to S/W. I have used Windows Disk Management to attach on of the disk images to a local computer.

On the local XP Pro computer, I have used Command Prompt to access the drive, mapped to W: in this case. However, opening My Computer does not show me the W: drive.

This is not critical or a show-stopper, but is there something that I have done wrong that I cannot see the W: drive from the local computer.

Thanks.
florian

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:24 pm

An Update.

I installed S/P on a second XP Pro machine and it properly showed the W: drive in My Computer.

So I disconnected both images from both XP Pro machines and then re-did an S/P reconnection. I swapped images in an attempt to force Windows to not 'recognize' an equal device.

This time both XP Pro machines showed a mapped drive properly. I did not get the opportunity for the Windows Disk Management Wizard to initialize and select a drive letter but both images showed up as drives on the test XP Pro machines just like I would have expected.
Robert (staff)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello Florian,

Glad everything worked fine.

Actually we are now in the process of documenting CLI tutorials on using StarWind. Should be available in our whitepapers section soon http://www.starwindsoftware.com/whitepapers

If you have any questions or issues, please feel free to post here or submit requests at www.starwindsoftware.com/support

Thanks,
Rob
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com