Forcing Startport to use specific IP

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

panthoney

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I would like to have StarWind/StarPort do the following:

On the iSCSI target we will mirror an image drive to another StarWind server (requiring StarPort). I would like to force the mirrored traffic onto a dedicated NIC. I can then have iSCSI clients use another dedicated NIC to actually mount the drives. However, I would like both StarWind servers to support the mirroring and the clients on separate NICs. For clients I can use the Windows initiator and it allows me to select the NIC IP Address to use, but for StarPort connections I cannot find anyway to select the IP address for its connection to the StarWind server. If I change the binding on the StarWind server to the mirrored NIC IP address (from the all addresses 0.0.0.0), StarPort will automatically use it, but then none of the other NIC addresses are available for clients. Perhaps there is alternative way of accomplishing this, but any information would be appreciated.
Robert (staff)

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello panthoney,

At this point this can only be done by having several NIC interfaces by setting up the respsective settings in the OS. There is no built-in function in the Starport itself to do.

However, this is a really good suggestion for our Developers to implement this functionality in the future versions of StarPort.

Thank you very much for your recommendation!
Robert.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com