Starport AoE with Windows Server 2008 64bits

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

nunosilva

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Hello.

I have a SAN using AoE. Everything works great with the Linux servers. We have a few Windows 2003 servers and for them I bought Starport AoE. What I want to say is that everything works fine.

Now someone wants to add a new server with Windows Server 2008 x64, and I'm having some problems. This was verified at least twice, with clean installs, and in server class hardware:

- Starport (latest trial version) installs fine, but after installation the system feels slower than before. Boot time is larger too (and maybe more than the 180 secs that the StarPortService waits).

- I can connect a drive without problems, but after "bind all, save" and rebooting, the server the drive isn't auto-mounted. Starport's log says: "waiting for 1 bound drive".... And after 180 secs just times out and continues/starts.

- I can add the device again and eveything works fine (albeit a bit slower than 2003...) until next reboot. The log says "Bound device arrived".

To debug I tried to tcpdump and I can confirm that no AoE packet is transmitted while the service is starting. I can only see traffic when I start the wizard to add a device.

Also, having IPv4, IPv6, etc, enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference.

Also tried to change the driver loading order (boot, system, etc) but it doesn't make a difference either.

And even stranger than that is that I can't find related topics in this forum. Is 2008 not supported or do I have some incredible bad luck?

All this was from memory, because I don't have that system nearby, but I can check anything tomorrow.

Regards,
Nuno Silva
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi.
We have reproduced the problem in our test lab and now we are working on the fix. The fixed build will be available for download ASAP.
nunosilva

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:01 pm

bohdan (staff) wrote:Hi.
We have reproduced the problem in our test lab and now we are working on the fix. The fixed build will be available for download ASAP.
Hi!

Good news. Meanwhile I have the server working but requiring manual mounting of the drives after a reboot.

Please give me some feedback when the hotfix is available.

Regards,
Nuno Silva
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Sure! You'd be the first one to know :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Yacine

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Hello,

Do you have any update on a release which support Windows Server 2008 64bits ?
We also need to deploy starport on 2008.

Thank you.
Regards,
Yacine.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 pm

We do support Windows 2008 and have 64-bit version of StarPort for ages. Just grab the latest version from our site and it should do what you want.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software