disk and ntfs write error on coraid

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

tempp

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi,

Lately, there has been a lot of disk/ntfs errors (on the event viever) when we tried to copy files to the coraid volume. The mount point (drive letter) seem to be available all the time and we can alway read file from the coraid volume. We have also visually checked the coraid volume and there doesn't seem to be any "red" light. I tried to unmount and remount the volume and see if it will make any differece, but the volume just keep showing again after I removed it using the starport utility

some specify
Windows 2003
Starport driver 3.6 build 0x20080410

Any idea?

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:02 pm

What did you do BEFORE machine start to throw errors? Hardware/software/configuration/load change I mean?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

tempp

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't recall doing any changes on the server, the only thing I can think of is the MS update that we apply last week. I can check the order entries of the event viewer as it is filled with the disk error and it overrode the old entries.
tempp

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:45 pm

I rebooted the server and it didn't seem to resolve the problem.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Did you notice performance degradation?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tempp

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Well, we only sync our data volume to the coraid device and it only happen during mid-night. So we can't tell if there is any performance issue. I have tried rebooting the server and it didn't seem to help.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Do you see any errors (esp. S.M.A.R.T.-related) in CoRAID own logs?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tempp

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 pm

That I don't have control, I am still waiting for the coraid admin to check that out.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 pm

Please let us know after he'll did. B/c quite often response is getting MUCH worser when one-two disks from the RAID set is-are dying.
tempp wrote:That I don't have control, I am still waiting for the coraid admin to check that out.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tempp

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:44 pm

OK, I will let you know once I find that out. Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Waiting for your feedback.
tempp wrote:OK, I will let you know once I find that out. Thanks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tempp

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:21 pm

The coraid admin doesn't seem to find any error on the device itself. I am trying to install the Newport driver on another machine and see if it makes any difference. I downloaded Starport 3.6 and installed it on a new Windows 2K3 server. When I tried adding the AOE drive with the console, it can't find any local NICs. The server has 2 NIC installed. Both are Intel, one is 100M and the other one is 1000M. These adapter are visible in the device manager as well as the networking panel. Any idea why?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 am

Sounds like protocol driver (part of the StarPort installation) did not install for some reason... Can you send us what drivers are loaded? I mean the complete list. Thanks!

tempp wrote:The coraid admin doesn't seem to find any error on the device itself. I am trying to install the Newport driver on another machine and see if it makes any difference. I downloaded Starport 3.6 and installed it on a new Windows 2K3 server. When I tried adding the AOE drive with the console, it can't find any local NICs. The server has 2 NIC installed. Both are Intel, one is 100M and the other one is 1000M. These adapter are visible in the device manager as well as the networking panel. Any idea why?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tempp

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks, Starpoint is able to see the coraid after few installation, don't know why it happen that way.

Basically, I got the same error when writing data to the coraid from another machine. However, the coraid admin didn't seem to see any error from the coraid console. We are still trying to identify the problem.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:37 pm

If NIC was disabled protocol driver will not attach to it.
tempp wrote:Thanks, Starpoint is able to see the coraid after few installation, don't know why it happen that way.

Basically, I got the same error when writing data to the coraid from another machine. However, the coraid admin didn't seem to see any error from the coraid console. We are still trying to identify the problem.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev