Windows 2000 Server

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cbowman

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 pm

We are trying to use Starport on a Windows 2000 Server virtualized under ESXi 3.5. During installation (at the end) it states that the Starport service is not installed. Under Services, we do not see the Starport service. Running Starport we can see the iSCSI devices but cannot attach to them. Is there any hope for this configuration?

Thanks!

Charles
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Hello.
Is it Windows 2000 with SP4? I should work fine.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:12 pm

We do confirm that StarPort service installation problem on windows 2000 exists. We are working on the fix.
But device mount functions work fine. Please make sure that you have StarPort driver installed. Please launch device manager and check whether StarPort Storage controller node exists (It should be in the SCSI and RAID Controllers tree).
If it is exist, try to uninstall it and install StarPort again.
cbowman

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Yes, the server does have SP4 installed. Are there dependent services that possibly aren't running that cause the Starport service to not install? Here is the results of the DrvInst.log:

Search for Device ID: [root\starport]
<EnumDeviceInfo FAILURE: No more data is available.
(259 / 0x103)>
Check: Driver is NOT installed
DrvInstDriverInstall(): ID: [root\starport], Inf: 'C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarPort\StarPort.inf'
ClassName: 'SCSIAdapter'
DrvInstDriverUpdate(): ID: [root\starport], Inf: 'C:\Program Files\Rocket Division Software\StarPort\StarPort.inf'
key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Driver Signing could not be opened
Driver Installed successfully.

It looks as though the driver installs, but the service does not install.

Charles
cbowman

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:16 pm

We checked and the SCSI device does show in the Hardware devices. We deleted the hardware and reinstalled with the same results. We can see the ISCSI devices but cannot add the device.

Charles
cbowman

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:28 pm

In the end it is the simple most obvious things that bite us in the rear.

Starport works fine even though the installation doesn't act like it. The only problem was that I already had another virtual test machine connected to the ISCSI target for testing and it wasn't until I read another post that I realized the 1 connection limit in the free version.

After more testing I'm sure that we will be purchasing the commercial product. Now, if it only worked with Novell my life would be perfect.

Thanks for all the help, you have a teriffic product!

Charles
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am

Hi.
The fixed version of StarPort that has no Windows 2000 service installation error is available for download from the following link:
http://www.rocketdivision.com/downloads ... 081010.exe