Starport with clustered connections

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

warhed

Tue May 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello,

I have not tried this but I wanted to ask before embarking on what could be a large waste of time.

Is there a way for Starport to create a file image on two redundant systems in which two ESX servers can connect to the store at the same time, thus providing real time fail over?

I noticed an option for multiple connections and clustering, but I am unfamiliar with clustering completely and just wanted to know if I am wasting my time as this may not be the way to go, or there is a limitation in ESX and/or Starport.

Hope I explained this clearly.

Thanks!
aaron (staff)

Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 am

We're currently testing new feature of the StarPort - heterogenous mirror. You'll be able to RAID1 remote iSCSI connection and local hard disk drive or remote AoE and iSCSI volumes. But for now there's a BIG problem with MS (actually Veritas) LVM-based RAID implementations - network stack starts MUCH later then storage stack so there's no way to wake up machine reliably - you'll get broken mirror with need to re-sync volumes in nearly 100% of the cases. But we'll workaround this :)
warhed wrote:Hello,

I have not tried this but I wanted to ask before embarking on what could be a large waste of time.

Is there a way for Starport to create a file image on two redundant systems in which two ESX servers can connect to the store at the same time, thus providing real time fail over?

I noticed an option for multiple connections and clustering, but I am unfamiliar with clustering completely and just wanted to know if I am wasting my time as this may not be the way to go, or there is a limitation in ESX and/or Starport.

Hope I explained this clearly.

Thanks!
Regards,
Aaron Korfer

Sales & Support
Rocket Division Software