CoRAID goes missing after a few days

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

corndog

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Hello there,

We have a 1521 on our network, with two servers attached to it - one fileserver and one backup server. Both Servers run Windows 2003 SP1, with Starport 3.5 on them (properly licensed, separate codes)

The fileserver generally works well for a week or so, but then we start to get "Device not functioning" errors when trying to access it. We reboot the file server to make the errors go away.

Recently our backup server has started to get the same errors. I am going to swap the switch for a new one this evening. But I was wondering - is anyone else seeing this? Interestingly, we don't get any errors in the Windows event log on the file server when this happens, and there isn't anything informative in the Starport.log either.
aaron (staff)

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Is it really CoRAID or StarPort issue? I mean are you sure CoRAID box stays on-line? Can you track any downtime with it?
Regards,
Aaron Korfer

Sales & Support
Rocket Division Software
corndog

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I will check this.

However, the drops don't happen at the same time. Sometimes the fileserver will get the error, while the backup server is still happily accessing the CoRAID.

I don't see very many configuration options in StarPort. Is there a "reconnect attempt" setting or settings anywhere? Maybe in the registry? Or an "advanced settings" option?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:43 am

Hello.
Unfortunately it is not possible manually specify the reconnect attempts. StarPort should reconnect the device as it becomes online.

Is it possible for you to zip and send us StarPort logs? Also could you please capture a network traffic with ethereal or wireshark tool and provide us with that log?
corndog

Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Hmmmmmm...

We replaced the Dell managed switch with a good old netgear unmanaged ProSafe gigabit. So far not the slightest problem.

There's Dell quality for you!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Any chance to update firmware for it? We have <put well known name> router here dropping WiFi connection once per hour. Very nice piece of the hardware to test re-transmission capabilities of the software!
corndog wrote:Hmmmmmm...

We replaced the Dell managed switch with a good old netgear unmanaged ProSafe gigabit. So far not the slightest problem.

There's Dell quality for you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software