Coraid / StarPort with Exchange 2007 LCR ?

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jsinclair

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:58 pm

We're looking to run a single exchange 07 server with LCR (local continouous replication) using the coraid and starport product. Is anyone using this setup currently, or know of anyone that has successfully gotten it to work? The requirements for LCR is a local disk, and MS requires either an iSCSI or fiber channel with RAID 10. Also, are the significant speed issues with this compared to an iSCSI/fiber SAN? Will it work in a Windows 2k3 x64 server? Any input or experiences will be appreciated..

Thanks!
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Hello.
The performance/speed of AoE is almost the same as of iSCSI and it is almost equal to wire speed (in our tests the read speed of AoE is very little less then of iSCSI one).
Unfortunately I don’t know any compatibility limitations of such configuration (AoE + Exchange).
But I recommend you download the StarPort from the following page http://rocketdivision.com/download_starport.html and perform the tests.
The installer is unified for 32-bit and 64-bit environments and it woks on Windows 2k3 x64 server.
jsinclair

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:57 pm

I will have to do some testing. Thanks for the info. Also, we will be moving to a blade system with VMWare Infrastructure 3. Does this also support ESX 3.x ? I know ATA/IDE isn't supported in ESX. Just curious..
Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:23 pm

Not yet unfortunately... Bug VMware support to implement IDE/ATA/AoE support inside ESX :)
jsinclair wrote:I will have to do some testing. Thanks for the info. Also, we will be moving to a blade system with VMWare Infrastructure 3. Does this also support ESX 3.x ? I know ATA/IDE isn't supported in ESX. Just curious..
Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software