Starport driver is not available

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

decomike

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:22 am

Installing Starport works fine and i can make a ramdrive (512mb) and use the Starport manager. After a restart of the system, Starport isn't loading anymore but i can use the ramdrive. When i try to start the Starport manager, i receive the error 'Starport driver is not available' and after ok 'failed to create empty document'.

I installed the software als administrator. My working account is also administrator.

v3.5 (build 2007-07-07)
Windows Vista 64 Business
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi.

This is known StarPort issue on 64 bit version of Vista.
Please launch StarPort management console as Administrator (Right click on the StarPort shortcut and select Run as..).
This issue will be fixed in the next StarPort release.
tjames

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53 pm

HI,

I'm getting the same error messages but with different circumstances. THe computer is a locked down machine so I have isntalled the StarPort software with an administrator account. How can I make the program runable by a regular user account?

Thanks,

Todd
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 pm

No way. Storage management software is for administrator rights only.
tjames wrote:HI,

I'm getting the same error messages but with different circumstances. THe computer is a locked down machine so I have isntalled the StarPort software with an administrator account. How can I make the program runable by a regular user account?

Thanks,

Todd
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

tjames

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:02 pm

anton (staff) wrote:No way. Storage management software is for admins only.

Thanks,

Todd
But if I have data on that storage device I want them to see, the drive will need to be mounted on the computer somehow...
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Well... To open driver we need admin account rights.
tjames wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:No way. Storage management software is for admins only. You don't let your kids to play with your firearms don't you?

Thanks,

Todd
Of course not, but if I have data on that storage device I want them to see, the drive will need to be mounted on the computer somehow...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tjames

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:49 pm

Any suggestions of how I can make this work?

I have a NAS unit attached to a computer with a 3TB iSCSI drive. I have installed StarPort as an administrator and added the iSCSI drive and it all works fine (Maps to e:\).

On this computer, the users log in using a local user account (member of the user group). How can I give them access then to the E:\ drive without them being able to run the StarPort program or having access to the driver?

I tried to run StarPort as a scheduled task at logon with an administrator account but that did not work.

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Please wait untill we'll release auto-mount fixed version.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev