Refreshing AoE Read-only volume

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rpotter

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Hello,

We have 2 W3K servers connected to the same CoRAID using StarPort. The primary server has R/W access, allowing users to upload large media files. The secondary server has Read-only access and is used with Windows Media Services to deliver content.

New files are not visible to to the Read-only server until it is rebooted -- or unless I Force Remove the AoE device.

Is there a programmatic way to Remove an AoE device? Stopping and starting the Starport service does not seem to do it. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:24 am

You was told TWICE you cannot do this. Windows has no clue about updates to the file system initiated by another node (writer). It's neither our nor CoRAID problem, it's Windows file systems design flaw. Either use SAN-capable file system (DataPlow SFS for example) or install third-party lock manager (MetaSAN for example). No other ways to proceed. Unfortunately...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

rpotter

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:13 am

anton (staff) wrote:You was told TWICE you cannot do this. Windows has no clue about updates to the file system initiated by another node (writer). It's neither our nor CoRAID problem, it's Windows file systems design flaw. Either use SAN-capable file system (DataPlow SFS for example) or install third-party lock manager (MetaSAN for example). No other ways to proceed. Unfortunately...
Right. Thanks Anton, I understand, but I was not looking for real-time refresh -- just a periodic refresh that I can schedule. I can do this manually via the StarPort GUI, but a command-line utility that unmounts and remounts a read-only volume would do it.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:29 am

To do this you have to initiate unmount-mount sequence. Something you'll never have working 100% stable for the non-removable drives with Windows. So the only way to have this ALWAYS working - remove/add device. I'll talk to Valery about possible scripting or custom console application/service, hold on...
rpotter wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:You was told TWICE you cannot do this. Windows has no clue about updates to the file system initiated by another node (writer). It's neither our nor CoRAID problem, it's Windows file systems design flaw. Either use SAN-capable file system (DataPlow SFS for example) or install third-party lock manager (MetaSAN for example). No other ways to proceed. Unfortunately...
Right. Thanks Anton, I understand, but I was not looking for real-time refresh -- just a periodic refresh that I can schedule. I can do this manually via the StarPort GUI, but a command-line utility that unmounts and remounts a read-only volume would do it.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software