Question regarding Windows and large LUN support

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

fubacca

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:23 pm

We are trying to create a storage solution for our backup to disk software. Currenty we have a 2TB array built into the backup server and are running out of room fast. We built a Solaris 10 server with 16 750GB SATAII hard drives. Created a zpool using all drives in raidz2 (raid6) with a hotspare. Total available was just over 8TB. We created a 8TB volume successfully, then shared the volume using iSCSI.

Microsoft iSCSI initiator running on Windows 2003 R2 cannot access the share. It connects but the drive appears as unusable. we are hoping to have a similar setup using a CoRaid box and using the starport driver. Has anyone tried connecting to a volume of this size with any success from Windows 2003 R2 using GPT disks I am assuming?
Val (staff)

Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:32 pm

fubacca wrote:Total available was just over 8TB. We created a 8TB volume successfully, then shared the volume using iSCSI.

Microsoft iSCSI initiator running on Windows 2003 R2 cannot access the share. It connects but the drive appears as unusable. we are hoping to have a similar setup using a CoRaid box and using the starport driver. Has anyone tried connecting to a volume of this size with any success from Windows 2003 R2 using GPT disks I am assuming?
StarPort does support disks > 2TB either connected with iSCSI or AoE.

GPT allows using of such huge disks without problems since Windows Server 2003 SP1.
Best regards,
Valeriy
fubacca

Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks,

I was concerened only because it shouldn't have been a problem with a 8TB iSCSI target on Solaris from Windows 2003 R2 and we were unable to do so. We just purchased a Coraid box to try and see if we have better luck.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Please keep us updated. Thank you!
fubacca wrote:Thanks,

I was concerened only because it shouldn't have been a problem with a 8TB iSCSI target on Solaris from Windows 2003 R2 and we were unable to do so. We just purchased a Coraid box to try and see if we have better luck.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software