ATAoE

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

drmouse

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Hello

I have a couple of questions regarding the ATAoE initiator.

1) Is this included in the personal edition? I have seen a few reviews which say it is, but your feature table says it is not.

2) I have seen on the EtherBoot website that it is possible to boot Windows XP from an ATAoE target. However, there seems to be little documentation about it. Is this possible, does it use StarPort, and are there any docs which you know of concerning how to do this?

3) What sort of speed/performance would you expect over a Gigabit ethernet network?

I am looking at deploying this initialy on my home network to test it out, but the company I work for is interested in testing on a larger scale if I can get it working, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Mouse
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:22 pm

1) No and no plans to make it available for free either... Can you give a URL to these reviews? We've never advertised AoE is free of charge and included into the personal version.

2) They don't use StarPort, rather they have own code. We don't support diskless boot with the StarPort and don't have any plans to have it soon. There's no market for this solution yet.

3) Wire speed with the proper hardware. Exactly like iSCSI does BTW.
drmouse wrote:Hello

I have a couple of questions regarding the ATAoE initiator.

1) Is this included in the personal edition? I have seen a few reviews which say it is, but your feature table says it is not.

2) I have seen on the EtherBoot website that it is possible to boot Windows XP from an ATAoE target. However, there seems to be little documentation about it. Is this possible, does it use StarPort, and are there any docs which you know of concerning how to do this?

3) What sort of speed/performance would you expect over a Gigabit ethernet network?

I am looking at deploying this initialy on my home network to test it out, but the company I work for is interested in testing on a larger scale if I can get it working, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Mouse
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software