StarPort/AoE/Coraid

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

opium

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:30 am

Greetings,
I searched all over your forum/FAQ and there's no mention of support for MS Clustering under StarPort/AoE/Coraid. Any plans of getting it to work under Server 2003 and how soon?

Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 am

Ask CoRAID guys about when will they support RESERVE/RELEASE and so-called "persistant reservation" command set. We don't want to emulate everything at the client side with ugly broadcast messages... It's server job.
opium wrote:Greetings,
I searched all over your forum/FAQ and there's no mention of support for MS Clustering under StarPort/AoE/Coraid. Any plans of getting it to work under Server 2003 and how soon?

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

opium

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:52 pm

Greetings,
Read the foll. from your Starport FAQ... can you tell how soon will it be? Thank you.

Q. Can I build a Microsoft Cluster with my Coraid SR-1520 device and your StarPort driver? I connected to the device and it's visible in the Disk Manager, but the MSCS can not use it.

A. The recent version of Starport does not support using of AoE devices in MS cluster. This is because of limitation of current version of the AoE protocol. We are planning to implement support of MSCS for AoE devices in one of the next StarPort versions.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:36 am

As soon as CoRAID will implement persisent reservations support inside their boxes. Next day you'll have StarPort with clustering thing supported. So the ball is on the CoRAID part of the table...
Read the foll. from your Starport FAQ... can you tell how soon will it be? Thank you.

Q. Can I build a Microsoft Cluster with my Coraid SR-1520 device and your StarPort driver? I connected to the device and it's visible in the Disk Manager, but the MSCS can not use it.

A. The recent version of Starport does not support using of AoE devices in MS cluster. This is because of limitation of current version of the AoE protocol. We are planning to implement support of MSCS for AoE devices in one of the next StarPort versions.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

opium

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:44 pm

Greetings,
thank you for the reply.

We are now moving to iSCSI and have already purchased Starport licenses. Can you please answer the foll.:
1. If I now connect my 2 nodes (Win2k3R2) with Starport to my 1.5TB iSCSI device, I should be able to create a Server 2003 cluster with the quorum on the iSCSI device?
2. Since both your Starport and Starwind products support iSCSI, what are the advantages of having one or the other, on a Windows Server 2003 cluster?
3. If I have to buy Starwind licenses instead, is it possible to trade back the Starport licenses for Starwind licenses?

Thank you.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 pm

StarPort is free for iSCSI, only AoE part is not free (yet).

1) Yes of course! We have a manual about this.

2) StarPort is a CLIENT and StarWind is a SERVER software. That's the difference...

3) We'll be happy to refund your StarPort licenses and sell you StarWind ones :)

Thanks!
thank you for the reply.

We are now moving to iSCSI and have already purchased Starport licenses. Can you please answer the foll.:
1. If I now connect my 2 nodes (Win2k3R2) with Starport to my 1.5TB iSCSI device, I should be able to create a Server 2003 cluster with the quorum on the iSCSI device?
2. Since both your Starport and Starwind products support iSCSI, what are the advantages of having one or the other, on a Windows Server 2003 cluster?
3. If I have to buy Starwind licenses instead, is it possible to trade back the Starport licenses for Starwind licenses?

Thank you.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev