Disk shows FAILED status in Disk Manager on boot

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

tshubert

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:38 am

Everytime I reboot my Windows 2003 server the volume shows a FAILED status and I have to REACTIVATE the disk in order to use it. How can I fix this? I have run CHKDSK /F a number of times and it finds no errors.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Do not use dynamic disks with the remote storage. It's common Windows problem (network stack starts much later compared to the disk stack). Use basic disk to have 100% working installation.
tshubert wrote:Everytime I reboot my Windows 2003 server the volume shows a FAILED status and I have to REACTIVATE the disk in order to use it. How can I fix this? I have run CHKDSK /F a number of times and it finds no errors.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

tshubert

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:13 pm

If I use basic disks then I get killed by the 2 TB limit. No other way around it? It seemed to be working fine when I first set it up. Then I took the system and Coraid onsite to my client's and installed it and that is when this started to happen.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:19 pm

No. That's why MS totally removed dynamic disk support from their iSCSI initiator starting with the version 2.xx. You may play with the services start order (I've asked techies to assist you) but there's no 100% working solution... Unfortunately it's neither RDS nor CoRAID who can do anything.
tshubert wrote:If I use basic disks then I get killed by the 2 TB limit. No other way around it? It seemed to be working fine when I first set it up. Then I took the system and Coraid onsite to my client's and installed it and that is when this started to happen.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tshubert

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:40 pm

I have been connecting to the Coraid with a dedicated 1 GB Ethernet interface that does not have any IP address assigned to it. Would it help if I gave it one? Any suggestions?

Also, how do I get some help from the "techies" as to changing the startup order?

Thanks again.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:56 pm

It does not matter...

They will find you. Hold on.
tshubert wrote:I have been connecting to the Coraid with a dedicated 1 GB Ethernet interface that does not have any IP address assigned to it. Would it help if I gave it one? Any suggestions?

Also, how do I get some help from the "techies" as to changing the startup order?

Thanks again.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tshubert

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:05 am

It has been a whole day and the Techies have not found me :-(
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:44 am

Whole day for you and the whole night for the people who live on the other side of our planet.
tshubert wrote:It has been a whole day and the Techies have not found me :-(
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

tshubert

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:23 am

You got me :lol:
Val (staff)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:07 am

tshubert wrote:If I use basic disks then I get killed by the 2 TB limit. No other way around it? It seemed to be working fine when I first set it up. Then I took the system and Coraid onsite to my client's and installed it and that is when this started to happen.
Hi,

Have you tried formatting the Coraid device as GPT disk instead of dynamic one?
GUID Partition Table is available since Windows Server 2003 SP1 and is known as working well with remote storage (iSCSI, AoE, etc).
There is no 2TB limit for GPT disks.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:49 pm

I think this advice should be better solution compared to the services start order...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

eddiefdz

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:35 pm

I use GPT and it works great for me. I have a 3 TB Raid setup on GPT and every time i reboot windows it comes up with no problem. Your sytem will detect it as 2 volumes, one of 2 TB and the other of 1TB and then GPT combines them to form a single volume.

Ed
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:28 am

Good! But for the full-blown dynamic disk support we all need to wait for the Windows Server 2008 to be released :)
eddiefdz wrote:I use GPT and it works great for me. I have a 3 TB Raid setup on GPT and every time i reboot windows it comes up with no problem. Your sytem will detect it as 2 volumes, one of 2 TB and the other of 1TB and then GPT combines them to form a single volume.

Ed
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev