Sleep not supported on Win10? - StarWind NVMe-oF Initiator

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

DT@EU

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Firstly, many thanks for being at the leading-edge of new software technology, it is nice to have a serious company supporting the Windows platform! :)

I have the latest version of the NVME initiator installed and I've noticed that the driver doesn't support Windows sleep? if I have no targets initiated, then the desktop can go to sleep (S5), however once I add an NVME target (both via the ctrl app or the iSCSI Initiator gui), the computer will not go to sleep and if I manually request the computer to go to sleep then it turns off all the USB devices and the monitors but then just sits there for a while before turning the fans off, at this point the only way to turn the computer back on is via the power button but now it is a restart, not a wake from sleep event.

Unless there is some configuration I am missing? I'm presuming that the driver lacks the support for sleep, it would really be very useful if this could be considered a valid work-item for a later release of the driver, any thoughts gents?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:02 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum. Please note that StarWind VSAN is not supported on desktop versions of OS https://www.starwindsoftware.com/system-requirements.
Putting target to sleep implies that services that are running there get paused.

Hope this helps :)
DT@EU

Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 am

I understand, but this is not for the VSAN.

This is just the standalone Starwind NVME-oF initiator, which works absolutely great for lab testing of fabrics etc., just would be nice to have the sleep in there because I like it so much that I'm actually using it on a workstation with some remote nvme drives, however currently it comes at the loss of sleep functionality (which lets face it, shutting down workstations isn't really an option for heavy computer users).

If it is very difficult to do then I apologise for asking, just thought it might be something very simple in the code like an automatic controller-removal on sleep-event in the driver code or something.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am

It is hard to do due to OS implementation of sleep mode. Still, I will pass this request to R&D team.

Thanks for sharing a great idea!!!
DT@EU

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:26 pm

That is fantastic!

Indeed it probably isn't going to be one of those 'important' features, but if it is implemented in a future revision, it would make the driver quite complete for workstation use-cases.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:15 am

Thank you!
mattaw

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:22 am

I would love to upvote this idea - I am also having hangs on shutdown and restart which seem to be connected to the Star Wind NVMe-oF initiator. Not sure how to diagnose that properly though, and overall the software is fantastic for this workstation user.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 am

Thanks for kind words! We are already working on the fix. Stay tuned!
Glowtape

Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:45 am

Hi, did this issue get worked on meanwhile? I can send my workstation to sleep, but resuming, all drives mounted via the NVMeoF initiator are gone until a full reboot. This is with a ConnectX3 using RDMA.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:17 am

Greetings,

We are still working on it. Stay tuned! If you are looking for a custom build, please reach out to us at support@starwind.com