iSCSI tape library

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

BetronParks

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:53 am

Anyone using iSCSI tape solution (that isn't Dell)?

We've got a client with 99.9% ESXi infrastructure and use Veeam for B2D2T, current tape library (2x LTO4 in MSL6000) is showing its age/falling apart, we're on the lookout for a new one.

I'd hoped to get the Dell TL2000 in as it supports iSCSI, meaning I can virtualise the backup server and chuck the old hardware we're running with the SCSI card in.

The problem is that we're having problems purchasing Dell hardware (rival company deal registered other hardware and Dell won't accept this is a seperate project).

I've not been able to find tape hardware, other than Dell's, that has iSCSI support. I'm surprised by this, I was wondering if anyone knows of any other manufacturer that may support this configuration?

I'm aware of the Starwind tape-redirector and am happy that it'd fill in if thats where we end up but I was hoping for native support just to reduce the overhead on installation and future support.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:14 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum!
StarWind Tape Redirector is a free solution.
I'd like to draw your attention to StarWind VTL https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... pe-library. This solution turns a server into a virtual tape library that can be replicated to public cloud.

Contact us at support@starwind.com to learn more about this offering. Use this thread and 543134 as your references.