How to setup vSAN for tape redirector only

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

swhitcher

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:26 pm

I recently found out about Starwind Tape Redirector, and think it might be just what I need. I see that it's not a standalone product anymore, but is built into vSAN. If all I want is to present a SCSI attached tape library out to iSCSI, do I need to install all components of vSAN, or just some subset?

Is there any doc on how to use just the Tape Redirector function from vSAN?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 am

You need to install single controller (node) version of StarWind Virtual SAN on a machine where your tape is physically connected. Then you run expose wizard to actually export it.

For manuals go here:

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resource-library

and do a search using "tape" keyword. You'll find a bunch of a HOWTOs for Symantec, ArcServe and Veritas. The beginning of them is pretty much similar and describes just Tape Redirector functionality.
swhitcher wrote:I recently found out about Starwind Tape Redirector, and think it might be just what I need. I see that it's not a standalone product anymore, but is built into vSAN. If all I want is to present a SCSI attached tape library out to iSCSI, do I need to install all components of vSAN, or just some subset?

Is there any doc on how to use just the Tape Redirector function from vSAN?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

swhitcher

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Thank you for the reply. I had already tried searching for 'tape' documents, but most of the results were either older (referencing the old Tape Redirector product) or seemed to be about creating a VTL, rather than redirecting a physical tape library. I'll take another look and see if I may have overlooked something.

As far as installing the Starwind vSan software, which of the components listed are required for the tape redirector functionality? I'd prefer to keep it as simple as I can, and not install additional features that I don't currently need.

Service
-Loopback Accelerator Driver
Management Console
-VSAN Deployment Tool
-NAS Configuration Tool
StarwindX Library
-Powershell Management Library
SMI-S Agent
Software VSS Provider
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Just a Service and also Management Console on the same or some other machine.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software